Printing envelopes from a Works database

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

      24th Nov 2006
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word (from
which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and open the
database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.; nothing readable or
printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Graham Mayor

      24th Nov 2006
The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
export the data from the database to a format that Word can use - ideally
comma delimited text or dbf.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Don wrote:
> I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
> address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
> envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
> Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
> (from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
> open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
> nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

      24th Nov 2006
Graham:
Thank you for your prompt response. I hate to sound totally dumb but how do
I convert the Works database to this dbf type file? Another thought, is there
a similar database in Word 2002 that would permit me to sort certain
addressees, for example, and then print the envelopes with Word?
--
Don

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
> export the data from the database to a format that Word can use - ideally
> comma delimited text or dbf.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
> Don wrote:
> > I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
> > address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
> > envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
> > Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
> > (from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
> > open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
> > nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Graham Mayor

      24th Nov 2006
I don't have Works to hand, but I seem to recall an option in the file menu
to 'save as'.
If you want to do it all in Word, then create a table containing the data -
see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Don wrote:
> Graham:
> Thank you for your prompt response. I hate to sound totally dumb but
> how do I convert the Works database to this dbf type file? Another
> thought, is there a similar database in Word 2002 that would permit
> me to sort certain addressees, for example, and then print the
> envelopes with Word?
>
>> The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is
>> to export the data from the database to a format that Word can use -
>> ideally comma delimited text or dbf.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>
>> Don wrote:
>>> I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created
>>> an address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to
>>> print envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
>>> Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
>>> (from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
>>> open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
>>> nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this
>>> issue?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      24th Nov 2006
Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not uninstalled
the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you *can* use a Works
database as a data source.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
> export the data from the database to a format that Word can use - ideally
> comma delimited text or dbf.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
> Don wrote:
> > I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
> > address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
> > envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
> > Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
> > (from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
> > open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
> > nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

      25th Nov 2006
Suzanne:
Thank you for the information. I have wandered all over the Microsoft
website looking for an MVP to help me with a Windows problem; my inability to
set up the sharing of a printer on a wireless network. Do you know how I may
contact an MVP who covers Windows XP/XP Pro?
--
Don

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not uninstalled
> the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you *can* use a Works
> database as a data source.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.
>
> "Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
> > export the data from the database to a format that Word can use - ideally
> > comma delimited text or dbf.
> >
> > --
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> > Graham Mayor - Word MVP
> >
> > My web site www.gmayor.com
> > Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >
> > Don wrote:
> > > I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
> > > address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
> > > envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
> > > Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
> > > (from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
> > > open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
> > > nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      25th Nov 2006
Post your question in a Windows newsgroup. There's a bunch of them in there.
;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suzanne:
> Thank you for the information. I have wandered all over the Microsoft
> website looking for an MVP to help me with a Windows problem; my inability
> set up the sharing of a printer on a wireless network. Do you know how I
> may
> contact an MVP who covers Windows XP/XP Pro?
> --
> Don
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not
>> uninstalled
>> the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you *can* use a
>> Works
>> database as a data source.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
>> so
>> all may benefit.
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
>> > export the data from the database to a format that Word can use -
>> > ideally
>> > comma delimited text or dbf.
>> >
>> > --
>> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> > Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>> >
>> > My web site www.gmayor.com
>> > Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Graham Mayor

      25th Nov 2006
Access the Microsoft forums directly via Outlook Express
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm and you shouldn't have any difficulty
finding the one you want.

--