Printing directory structure

=?Utf-8?B?RGVl?=

      25th Aug 2004
Hi All
I have a large directory in which there are lots of subfolders and folders
within those, and so on and so forth. How can I print out the directory tree
(showing last modified dates) from within Win XP? I used to DOS quite a lot
and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using MyComputer,
etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long process.
Any ideas?

Jeremy Kuhne [MSFT]

      25th Aug 2004
Dee,

You can do this sort of thing by going to the command prompt and doing it
the way you remember. If you go to the Start menu, select "Run..." and
enter "command" you will get a command prompt window, which behaves very
much like the DOS you remember. You can use the "dir" command and pipe it
into a text file that you can then edit. "dir /?" will give you all of the
options, but it sounds to me like you want "dir /ad /s /tw". This will give
you the list of directories (/ad) with all subdirectories (/s) and the last
time written (/tw). To put the output in a text file you can enter a
filename after the command like such "dir /ad /s /tw > c:\directory.doc".
You can then edit the file and edit it as you please. (Note that you'll get
a bunch of "." and ".." directories, which are special directory entries
that refer to the current and next level up, respectively.)

You'll have to navigate to the root directory of the folder you want to list
by using the "cd" command to change the current directory. You can also
optionally enter in the full path in the dir command, but you'll have to put
it in quotes if there are spaces:

dir "c:\My Directory\That Directory" /ad /s /tw > c:\directory.doc

Good luck.

--
Jeremy Kuhne
STE / Authoring Tools

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.
"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
> I have a large directory in which there are lots of subfolders and folders
> within those, and so on and so forth. How can I print out the directory
> tree
> (showing last modified dates) from within Win XP? I used to DOS quite a
> lot
> and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using
> MyComputer,
> etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long
> process.
> Any ideas?

Jeremy Kuhne [MSFT]

      26th Aug 2004
One minor change to what's below. Was thinking too retro. You should type
"cmd" instead of "command". You use "command" on Windows Me and below.

--
Jeremy Kuhne
STE / Authoring Tools
Microsoft Corporation

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.
"Jeremy Kuhne [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dee,
>
> You can do this sort of thing by going to the command prompt and doing it
> the way you remember. If you go to the Start menu, select "Run..." and
> enter "command" you will get a command prompt window, which behaves very
> much like the DOS you remember. You can use the "dir" command and pipe it
> into a text file that you can then edit. "dir /?" will give you all of
> the options, but it sounds to me like you want "dir /ad /s /tw". This
> will give you the list of directories (/ad) with all subdirectories (/s)
> and the last time written (/tw). To put the output in a text file you can
> enter a filename after the command like such "dir /ad /s /tw >
> c:\directory.doc". You can then edit the file and edit it as you please.
> (Note that you'll get a bunch of "." and ".." directories, which are
> special directory entries that refer to the current and next level up,
> respectively.)
>
> You'll have to navigate to the root directory of the folder you want to
> list by using the "cd" command to change the current directory. You can
> also optionally enter in the full path in the dir command, but you'll have
> to put it in quotes if there are spaces:
>
> dir "c:\My Directory\That Directory" /ad /s /tw > c:\directory.doc
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Jeremy Kuhne
> STE / Authoring Tools
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> rights.
> "Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All
>> I have a large directory in which there are lots of subfolders and
>> folders
>> within those, and so on and so forth. How can I print out the directory
>> tree
>> (showing last modified dates) from within Win XP? I used to DOS quite a
>> lot
>> and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using
>> MyComputer,
>> etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long
>> process.
>> Any ideas?

Don MI

      26th Aug 2004

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
> I have a large directory in which there are lots of subfolders and folders
> within those, and so on and so forth. How can I print out the directory
> tree
> (showing last modified dates) from within Win XP? I used to DOS quite a
> lot
> and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using
> MyComputer,
> etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long
> process.
> Any ideas?

In addition to using the capability within Windows, you could install a
third party application such as Directory Printer from:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

Karen's Directory Printer is free.

Don