Printer Port Configuration

JeffB

      5th Feb 2005
I need one of the MVP's to translate error messages and hopefully suggest places
to look next...

Situation: Home Network
PC 1 - Win98SE
two printers attached - HP DeskJet (LPT1), Epson PhotoPrinter (USB)

PC 2 - WinXP (SP1)
single printer attached - HP LaserJet (LPT1)

The printer sharing was all OK when running the (really) old PC2.

Trying to configure PC2 printers under WinXP. PC2 can print to its local printer
and the remote HP DeskJet just fine. When trying to configure the Epson
PhotoPrinter driver:
In the Printer, Port configuration tab:
The correct printer port shows up as a "LAN Manager Printer Port" just like the
HP printer. I check this port and select Configure Port - the message is:
"An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not supported."
or Apply - the message is:
"Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."

The Epson drivers are the latest available for WinXP. The network is working
fine, one remote printer (HP DeskJet) is configured and working properly. Any
idea where I should look next for problems configuring the Epson printer? The
error messages from Windows are useless...

Thanks!
JeffB

Robert Jacobs

      6th Feb 2005
I guess im not understanding what you are doing with the ports. On the 98SE
system you should install your printers at networked printers and turn on
sharing by right clicking on them and click on sharing. then goto your XP
machine and add printer. select network printer and find the printer you
want to add and then install the xp drivers and vavoom. All Done.

"JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need one of the MVP's to translate error messages and hopefully suggest
>places to look next...
>
> Situation: Home Network
> PC 1 - Win98SE
> two printers attached - HP DeskJet (LPT1), Epson PhotoPrinter (USB)
>
> PC 2 - WinXP (SP1)
> single printer attached - HP LaserJet (LPT1)
>
> The printer sharing was all OK when running the (really) old PC2.
>
> Trying to configure PC2 printers under WinXP. PC2 can print to its local
> printer and the remote HP DeskJet just fine. When trying to configure the
> Epson PhotoPrinter driver:
> In the Printer, Port configuration tab:
> The correct printer port shows up as a "LAN Manager Printer Port" just
> like the HP printer. I check this port and select Configure Port - the
> message is:
> "An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not
> supported."
> or Apply - the message is:
> "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."
>
> The Epson drivers are the latest available for WinXP. The network is
> working fine, one remote printer (HP DeskJet) is configured and working
> properly. Any idea where I should look next for problems configuring the
> Epson printer? The error messages from Windows are useless...
>
> Thanks!
> JeffB

JeffB

      6th Feb 2005
Robert Jacobs wrote:
> and vavoom

the error message is:
"Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."
If I select Configure Port - the message is:
"An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not supported."

The setup of shared printers was all working properly before PC2 was replaced
with a WinXP machine. My question is what to look for now since the WinXP
machine has some mysterious problem recognizing one of the shared printers...

JeffB

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      7th Feb 2005
See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
www.coribright.com

"JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Jacobs wrote:
>> and vavoom
>>

> the error message is:
> "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."
> If I select Configure Port - the message is:
> "An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not
> supported."
>
> The setup of shared printers was all working properly before PC2 was
> replaced with a WinXP machine. My question is what to look for now since
> the WinXP machine has some mysterious problem recognizing one of the
> shared printers...
>
> JeffB

JeffB

      8th Feb 2005
Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm

Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem - which I
think has to do with the printer port configuration. When using the referenced
..cmd file, I end up with an additional entry for the Epson printer in the
printer list indicating an "unable to connect" status.

I'm not having a problem getting the printer added to the printer list, it just
won't connect to the appropriate shared "LAN Manager Printer Port".

JeffB