Printer on the fritz

Alice Who

      14th Jun 2012

Has anyone had a problem with there printer since the update.

Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom.

I'm trying to try to find out if it was the update or is my printer on
the fritz

ss

      14th Jun 2012
On 14/06/2012 16:22, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Alice Who" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>> Has anyone had a problem with there printer since the update.
>>
>> Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom.
>>
>> I'm trying to try to find out if it was the update or is my printer on
>> the fritz

> What update ?
> Insufficient information.
>
> What does "Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom"
> medan ?
>
> You really have to spend time and fully explain your problem which
> should include, but not limited to, the facts such as what update(s),
> printer make and model, OS, etc...

Sounds like it is printing in landscape instead of portrait, just change
the settings.
But yes more info required.

Brian

      15th Jun 2012
I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.

Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
cartridges (type 525 & 526)?

Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

Michael J Davis

      15th Jun 2012
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> was inspired to say
>I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
>replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.
>
>Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
>cartridges (type 525 & 526)?

I have used Jet-Tec inks for my A3 Canon printer (S9000) since 2003, and
am very happy with them as a very close match to the Canon originals (I
occasionally buy a set of Canons to check they are still compatible.)

Recently I've been purchasing from Kenborne, whose owner is very helpful
if there are any questions.

http://www.kenborne.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss...PR=-1&TB=A&SS=
iP4950&search.x=14&search.y=11

The above search seemed to give what you want. (If link is broken,
rejoin it!!)

>Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

Can't help there.

Mike

--
Michael J Davis
<><

Rob

      16th Jun 2012
On 15/06/2012 11:03 PM, Brian wrote:
> I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
> replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.
>
> Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
> cartridges (type 525 & 526)?
>
> Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

You may want to consider these

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

Brian

      16th Jun 2012
On 16/06/2012 02:12, Rob wrote:
> You may want to consider these
>
> http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

Thanks but I'm based in the UK - sorry I should have mentioned that!

Rob

      16th Jun 2012
On 16/06/2012 8:39 PM, Brian wrote:
> On 16/06/2012 02:12, Rob wrote:
>> You may want to consider these
>>
>> http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y
>>

> Thanks but I'm based in the UK - sorry I should have mentioned that!

They are based in China but send world wide. You don't buy very well in
the UK.

I have bought through this site before without problems. Its like ebay
but deal with the suppliers directly. I'm not where you thing either.

Gernot Hassenpflug

      18th Jun 2012
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

> From: "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
> > replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.

Hi Brian,

> > Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
> > cartridges (type 525 & 526)?
> >
> > Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

> You seem to have posted in someone elses thread. Verified on two
> different NSP servers.
> Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
>
> Use the Canon cartridges.
> You should have looked at Canon cartridge costs _before_ you bought
> the printer if you think the cartridge costs are "exorbitant".

All cartridge costs are exorbitant. That is how the manufacturers make
their money.

The only way to get a better deal is to break out of the system
(business model) the maker has devised.

I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
you need.

You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are common).
--
Gernot Hassenpflug

Brian

      18th Jun 2012
On 18/06/2012 02:45, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
> cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
> can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
> gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
> for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
> you need.
>
> You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are common).

I did do that with my old Canon iP4300, but I found that refilling Canon
cartridges was a pretty messy operation! I then bought some third-party
refillable cartridges, with bottles of bulk ink, but these did not
indicate ink levels properly. Well they did, but if you turned the
printer off the ink levels automatically returned to "full" when you
switched it on again!

The blue section of the print-head also stopped working properly soon
after I started using these refill cartridges, and I rather suspect that
either the cartridges or the ink may have had something to do with it.

One thing that annoys me about the new iP4950 printer is that the
cartridges hold a lot less ink than those on the iP4300. Also when I
turn the printer on and do some printing of DVDs (the main thing I use
it for) the printer spends a long time clanking and chunking about
getting ready. This seems to use a lot of ink for nothing - after
printing about 40 disks since new the cartridges are already showing
half-empty, which seems excessive.

Rob

      19th Jun 2012
On 19/06/2012 2:59 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Gernot Hassenpflug" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
>>
>>> From: "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Hi Brian,

>>> You seem to have posted in someone elses thread. Verified on two
>>> different NSP servers.
>>> Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
>>>
>>> Use the Canon cartridges.
>>> You should have looked at Canon cartridge costs _before_ you bought
>>> the printer if you think the cartridge costs are "exorbitant".

>> All cartridge costs are exorbitant. That is how the manufacturers make
>> their money.
>>
>> The only way to get a better deal is to break out of the system
>> (business model) the maker has devised.
>>
>> I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
>> cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
>> can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
>> gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
>> for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
>> you need.
>>
>> You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are
>> common).

> The problem with this is based upon that re-fill ink. Quality,
> whettability (hygroscopic attributes), UV, drying time, paper
> absorbtion, bleeding, etc. Too many unknowns. For example printing on
> premium glossy photo paper. Whose product will work best with that ink.
> Its unknown and its a bitch to have to test various vendors to see whose
> works best with that ink.

And the same comes to mind when I tried using Kodak paper with genuine inks.