Printer Driver

SME

      26th Oct 2007
I am new to device drivers for Windows. I need clarifications on the
following:

1. Is a printer driver a UMDF or KMDF type?

2. In the examples of WDK, does the directory %wdk%\src\print contain the
printer driver samples?

3. Which is the best book, that almost spoon feeds, on printer driver
development?

ThanQ...

Don Burn

      26th Oct 2007
Comments inline:

"SME" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23siRrm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am new to device drivers for Windows. I need clarifications on the
>following:
>
> 1. Is a printer driver a UMDF or KMDF type?

Neither, printer drivers are their own beasts. KMDF and UMDF are
specifically to replace WDM drivers.

> 2. In the examples of WDK, does the directory %wdk%\src\print contain the
> printer driver samples?

Yes

> 3. Which is the best book, that almost spoon feeds, on printer driver
> development?

There are no books on printer driver development (or for that matter any of
the other specialty driver types). I would move over to
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers many more people hang out there,
including some printer driver types (I am not one).

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting