Print Directories

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIExhd3NoZQ==?=

      29th Jan 2006
I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I would like to be able to print a
Directory Listing.
Microsoft has an FAQ on this subject (Article ID: 272623 or Q272623)
however, it does not apply to Windows 2000 Professional, I tried and the
instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
Any Suggestions?
George
(E-Mail Removed)

Dave Patrick

      29th Jan 2006
Yes it applies to Windows 2000. What doesn't match?

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"George Lawshe" wrote:
|I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I would like to be able to print a
| Directory Listing.
| Microsoft has an FAQ on this subject (Article ID: 272623 or Q272623)
| however, it does not apply to Windows 2000 Professional, I tried and the
| instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
| Any Suggestions?
| George
| (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIExhd3NoZQ==?=

      29th Jan 2006
I found a couple of items.
Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
users Windows Directory?
Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then click
on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
And that is as far as I got.
Please Note the Following:
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition

Any suggestions on how to access File Folders?
Thanks
George
(E-Mail Removed)

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Yes it applies to Windows 2000. What doesn't match?
>
> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "George Lawshe" wrote:
> |I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I would like to be able to print a
> | Directory Listing.
> | Microsoft has an FAQ on this subject (Article ID: 272623 or Q272623)
> | however, it does not apply to Windows 2000 Professional, I tried and the
> | instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
> | Any Suggestions?
> | George
> | (E-Mail Removed)

Dave Patrick

      29th Jan 2006
"George Lawshe" wrote:
|I found a couple of items.
| Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
| Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
| users Windows Directory?
* The "windows" directory is always where the operating system is installed.
In your case it should be \winnt by default.

| Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then
click
| on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
| And that is as far as I got.
* Try logging on as local administrator.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Jim Byrd

      29th Jan 2006
Hi George - See Steve Yandl's Directory Printer Script, here at the bottom:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/scripts5.html

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"George Lawshe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I would like to be able to print

> Directory Listing.
> Microsoft has an FAQ on this subject (Article ID: 272623 or Q272623)
> however, it does not apply to Windows 2000 Professional, I tried and the
> instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
> Any Suggestions?
> George
> (E-Mail Removed)

Jim Byrd

      29th Jan 2006
or add it to the context menu:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...nd&btnG=Search

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/

"George Lawshe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I would like to be able to print

> Directory Listing.
> Microsoft has an FAQ on this subject (Article ID: 272623 or Q272623)
> however, it does not apply to Windows 2000 Professional, I tried and the
> instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
> Any Suggestions?
> George
> (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIExhd3NoZQ==?=

      30th Jan 2006
I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found about
200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However, clicking
on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New and
it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro on
your computer?
George

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> "George Lawshe" wrote:
> |I found a couple of items.
> | Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
> | Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
> | users Windows Directory?
> * The "windows" directory is always where the operating system is installed.
> In your case it should be \winnt by default.
>

> | Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then
> click
> | on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
> | And that is as far as I got.
> * Try logging on as local administrator.
>
> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Snarky Parker

      30th Jan 2006
Sorry to jump in here, but if you only need this feature for occasional use,
Windows 2000 still has TREE.COM available. This is run from a command prompt.
Enter tree /? for parameters. Simplest method is to sent to text file and then
print the text file. Here are some examples of commands:

For tree structure only:
tree %windir% /a >tree.txt

For tree structure and file names:
tree %windir% /a /f >files.text

The text files will be in whatever folder you run the command from.

One drawback: It doesn't seem to know about some system folders

"George Lawshe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
| tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found about
| 200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However, clicking
| on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New and
| it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro on
| your computer?
| George
|

| "Dave Patrick" wrote:
|
| > "George Lawshe" wrote:
| > |I found a couple of items.
| > | Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
| > | Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
| > | users Windows Directory?
| > * The "windows" directory is always where the operating system is installed.
| > In your case it should be \winnt by default.
| >

| > | Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then
| > click
| > | on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
| > | And that is as far as I got.
| > * Try logging on as local administrator.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
| > Microsoft Certified Professional
| > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
| > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick

      30th Jan 2006
You need to click on 'Advanced' then 'New'

--

"George Lawshe" wrote:
| I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
| tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found
about
| 200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However,
clicking
| on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New
and
| it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro
on
| your computer?
| George

Snarky Parker

      30th Jan 2006
I tried the procedure that Patrick recommended and it does indeed work, but the
output only shows the first tier of folders. Here's a change that I made to the
batch file (prin.bat) which outputs all directory levels (first tier and all
subs):

@echo off
tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"