Prevent users from changing font type

=?Utf-8?B?S2lkIEtvb2lqbWFucw==?=

      8th Dec 2005
Is there a way to prevent users from changing the font type
(Tools\Options\Mail Format\Stationery and Fonts) through registry hack, or VB
code. I am able to set the font remotely by changing the registry but some
"naughty" users change it back to some ridiculous font while I just want to
have some degree of uniformity within the company GPO doesn't seem an
option.

thanks in advance.

kid Kooijmans

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      20th Jan 2006
The registry value that controls the default stationery for the user is in the following registry value:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings
Value name: NewStationery
Value type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value: Name of the HTML file, without the .htm tag

For example, if the name of the stationery file is “Company Letterhead.htm,” the value for NewStationery would be “Company Letterhead.”

Similarly, a value called NewTheme controls the default theme for messages created using WordMail.

You can enforce a mandatory stationery file by creating a NewStationery value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings key.

You would also, of course, have to block the use of the Font menu and toolbar commands and hope the user doesn't know where to look for the stationery files and doesn't try to edit it.

Frankly, I'd put this in the category of "behavioral problems that don't have technical solutions." A user who thinks a "ridiculous" font is appropriate for company email is likely to cause more problems down the road. A talk about appropriate email usage is overdue.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP