How to prevent the line break between superscripts?

qquito@hotmail.com

      19th Jun 2012
Hello, Everyone:

I use Microsoft Word 2008 Version 12.1.1.

I use the unit "Watts per square meter" many times in my text, and I type it as "W m-2" with "-2" formatted as superscript. The problem is that the line break can occur between "m" and the superscript "-2", even though I leave no space between "m" and "-2". Even more bizarre is that the line break sometimes occurs between "-" and "2", the two superscripted characters.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--R.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      20th Jun 2012
Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello, Everyone:

I use Microsoft Word 2008 Version 12.1.1.

I use the unit "Watts per square meter" many times in my text, and I type it
as "W m-2" with "-2" formatted as superscript. The problem is that the line
break can occur between "m" and the superscript "-2", even though I leave no
space between "m" and "-2". Even more bizarre is that the line break
sometimes occurs between "-" and "2", the two superscripted characters.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--R.

qquito@hotmail.com

      21st Jun 2012
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:11:56 AM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill

Thank you, Suzanne, for your reply. It works perfectly except---on machine it is Command+Shift+Hyphen. For the nonbreaking space, though, it is still Ctrl+Shift+Space.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      22nd Jun 2012
You must have a Mac, as there's no Command key on PCs (and I didn't known
Macs had a Ctrl key).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:11:56 AM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>> Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill

> Thank you, Suzanne, for your reply. It works perfectly except---on machine
> it is Command+Shift+Hyphen. For the nonbreaking space, though, it is still
> Ctrl+Shift+Space.

Stefan Blom

      22nd Jun 2012
The OP does mention Word 2008, which I'm assuming is a Mac version. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:js1kf1$ble$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You must have a Mac, as there's no Command key on PCs (and I didn't known Macs
> had a Ctrl key).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:11:56 AM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>>> Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill

>> Thank you, Suzanne, for your reply. It works perfectly except---on machine
>> it is Command+Shift+Hyphen. For the nonbreaking space, though, it is still
>> Ctrl+Shift+Space.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      22nd Jun 2012
Ah, to be sure, not sure how I missed that.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

news:js1qg3$dcs$(E-Mail Removed)...