HOW TO PREVENT AVG CERTIFICATION.TXT ATTACHMENTS ON ALL EMAILS?

Anj

      4th Jan 2008
Every single email, no matter the contact, contains an attachment labeled AVG
Certification.txt. It opens in word pad and is all mumbo jumbo.
PLEASE HELP!

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

      4th Jan 2008
Ask AVG.

Anj wrote:

> Every single email, no matter the contact, contains an attachment labeled AVG
> Certification.txt. It opens in word pad and is all mumbo jumbo.
> PLEASE HELP!

VanguardLH

      4th Jan 2008
"Anj" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every single email, no matter the contact, contains an attachment
> labeled AVG
> Certification.txt. It opens in word pad and is all mumbo jumbo.
> PLEASE HELP!

Don't have AVG (anti-virus) "verify" the e-mails with its signature.
As I recall, it's an option. Dig in there.

I gave up on the free version of AVG when it started generating false
positives and the only recourse was to report it via some e-mail
address that is only divulged in their support forums to get Grisoft
to someday maybe get it added to their signature updates. The free
AVG doesn't have an option to let users trust or ignore files they
know are okay despite what AVG thinks; that is, free AVG doesn't let
users compensate for false positives. I wasn't going to pay for it
because there are other free alternatives that do have trust or ignore
lists.

Fact is, with AVG, and when I was still using it, I did *not* want its
e-mail scanner. E-mail scanning is somewhat superfluous since the
pest will still get detected if you ever attempt to save the attached
file. E-mail scanning only changes WHEN the pest is detected: with
e-mail scanning, it *might* get detected when the e-mail gets
delivered rather than later when you attempt to save the attachment.
So I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled it but without the e-mail
scanning module. This was because it bitches (with a dim tray icon)
that the e-mail scan module is disabled if you install it and then
disable it, so I just didn't install it in the first place.

E-mail scanning often causes timeouts when receiving or sending
e-mails and why some users will report that all was working and then
suddenly they can't receive or send e-mails anymore. The scanner has
to interrogate the mail traffic. E-mail clients won't tolerate much
delay in response from a server and the interrogation can induce such
a long delay that the e-mail client times out because it figures the
server is dead or just too unresponsive.

So either configure AVG to not certify your e-mails, disable the
e-mail scan feature, or get rid of their e-mail scan module in its
entirety through an uninstall and reinstall.

Brian Tillman

      4th Jan 2008
Anj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Every single email, no matter the contact, contains an attachment
> labeled AVG Certification.txt. It opens in word pad and is all mumbo
> jumbo.
> PLEASE HELP!

Not an Outlook question.

Open the AVG control center, select the email scanning feature, click
Properties and remove the certification.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]