PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Ppnt 07 Header & Footer dialog box/Notes Master & Handout master

 
 
Teresa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Jun 2008
Scenario in new blank Ppnt 07 presentation:
Insert tab, Header & Footer, Notes & Handouts tab - I enter some text for
the header and footer, select the date format etc.
I then go to the Handout master and edit the header and/or footer text
directly in the placeholders. When I check the results in Print Preview, the
edited text has come through OK.
I then go to the Note master and edit the header and/or footer text directly
in the placeholders. The results in Print Preview (and the actual printed
copy) start to become inconsistent at this point - for example, the preview
sometimes shows the original header/footer after editing the master and EVEN
after switching off the header/ footer placeholder in the master!

Question: is it best to avoid editing text in the Master placeholders, and
use only the Header & Footer dialog box instead, and just use the master
placeholders for FORMATTING text?
Question: Is the confusion arising because the Header & Footer d.box has a
joint 'Notes and Handouts' tab, but a separate Notes master and Handouts
master?
Question: If anyone has time to 'have a play' with this and let me know if
they too get inconsistent results I would be very grateful to hear of it. I
am preparing some instructions on the most reliable way to create, edit and
format header and footer text in the Notes Master and the Handout Master.
Thanks!
--
Teresa
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Echo S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Jun 2008
"Teresa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scenario in new blank Ppnt 07 presentation:
> Insert tab, Header & Footer, Notes & Handouts tab - I enter some text for
> the header and footer, select the date format etc.
> I then go to the Handout master and edit the header and/or footer text
> directly in the placeholders. When I check the results in Print Preview,
> the
> edited text has come through OK.
> I then go to the Note master and edit the header and/or footer text
> directly
> in the placeholders. The results in Print Preview (and the actual printed
> copy) start to become inconsistent at this point - for example, the
> preview
> sometimes shows the original header/footer after editing the master and
> EVEN
> after switching off the header/ footer placeholder in the master!
>
> Question: is it best to avoid editing text in the Master placeholders, and
> use only the Header & Footer dialog box instead, and just use the master
> placeholders for FORMATTING text?


Yes. Changes were made to headers/footers in PPT 2007 that make them act
differently than they did in previous versions. I'd avoid adding the text to
the placeholder and just put it in the Header/Footer dialog box instead.

> Question: Is the confusion arising because the Header & Footer d.box has a
> joint 'Notes and Handouts' tab, but a separate Notes master and Handouts
> master?


I don't know for sure, but I suspect you're onto something.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Teresa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Jun 2008
Hi, thanks for the reply, and I will follow your suggestion.
What has been confusing is (1) various reference books imply that it's fine
to type directly into the master placeholders (2) the Handouts master does
not give the same unreliable results as the Notes master.

So - which header/footer text takes precedence - whatever was in the
Header/Footer dialog box on the Notes and Handouts tab, or whatever is the
Notes Master and Handouts masters? Is there a way of 'refreshing' the
Header/Footer d box to reflect what's in the master(s) or vice versa?
--
Teresa


"Echo S" wrote:

> "Teresa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Scenario in new blank Ppnt 07 presentation:
> > Insert tab, Header & Footer, Notes & Handouts tab - I enter some text for
> > the header and footer, select the date format etc.
> > I then go to the Handout master and edit the header and/or footer text
> > directly in the placeholders. When I check the results in Print Preview,
> > the
> > edited text has come through OK.
> > I then go to the Note master and edit the header and/or footer text
> > directly
> > in the placeholders. The results in Print Preview (and the actual printed
> > copy) start to become inconsistent at this point - for example, the
> > preview
> > sometimes shows the original header/footer after editing the master and
> > EVEN
> > after switching off the header/ footer placeholder in the master!
> >
> > Question: is it best to avoid editing text in the Master placeholders, and
> > use only the Header & Footer dialog box instead, and just use the master
> > placeholders for FORMATTING text?

>
> Yes. Changes were made to headers/footers in PPT 2007 that make them act
> differently than they did in previous versions. I'd avoid adding the text to
> the placeholder and just put it in the Header/Footer dialog box instead.
>
> > Question: Is the confusion arising because the Header & Footer d.box has a
> > joint 'Notes and Handouts' tab, but a separate Notes master and Handouts
> > master?

>
> I don't know for sure, but I suspect you're onto something.
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What laptops on the market now come with Word, Excel, PPnt? =?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?= Microsoft Word Document Management 4 6th Aug 2007 11:20 PM
Where can I find additional sound bites for PPNT? =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWVL?= Microsoft Powerpoint 2 1st May 2007 02:41 AM
Re: My ppnt viewer is not working Echo S Microsoft Powerpoint 1 2nd Jan 2007 03:27 PM
Re: My ppnt viewer is not working Echo S Microsoft Powerpoint 1 22nd Dec 2006 05:57 PM
Does anyone know how to retrieve a lost password on a ppnt doc? =?Utf-8?B?Um1mYWlsdGU=?= Microsoft Powerpoint 2 21st Apr 2005 03:04 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55 AM.