powersupply size for AMD 3500+ ?

Wayne Fulton

      4th Dec 2004
Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
(380 watts), with ratings of
+5V 35 amps max
+12V 24 amps max
3.3V 28 amps max

That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Anonymous Joe

      4th Dec 2004
"Wayne Fulton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b0f352$0$27770$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
> 3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
> Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
> that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
> (380 watts), with ratings of
> +5V 35 amps max
> +12V 24 amps max
> 3.3V 28 amps max
>
> That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
> The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
> drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

That should be fine. Most of the power is used from the 12V line (12*24 =
288W, thus 75% of the PSU here). So, the amps on the +12V is important, so
long as teh +5 and +3.3 are decent enough. My PSU (using an Athlon XP
3000+, 2x120GB, Geforce3 Ti 200 [not much of a draw there ], 3xoptical
drives) is 450W, but only 15A on +12v. Instead they gave it something silly
like 45A on +5v.

Tony Hill

      4th Dec 2004
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:14:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
>3500+ ?

A decent quality one is what is required.

> The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
>Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
>that still works.

A good quality 250W supply will do the trick, a poor quality 500W
supply will not.

Quality, not quantity.

> Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
>(380 watts), with ratings of

Antec makes VERY good quality power supplies. The True380 will
definitely be a good choice.

-------------
Tony Hill

Wayne Fulton

      4th Dec 2004
Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
worry any more about it.

Bass

      4th Dec 2004
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:53:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
>worry any more about it.

It also depends on what video card you have. The latest and best vid
cards are very power hungry. If you have that cpu with let's say a
Nvidia 6800GT vid card then you should be looking at an Antec True
Power 480w or something similar.

George Macdonald

wrote:

>Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
>3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
>Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
>that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
>(380 watts), with ratings of
>+5V 35 amps max
>+12V 24 amps max
>3.3V 28 amps max
>
>That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
>The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
>drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

If you go for one of the new big-power sucking video cards, you might want
to think about something with a bit more oomph but even there I'm not so
sure. BTW I do not recommend the GeCube 9600XT(256); I went with it when
the Sapphire model went out of stock between selection and final order
completion at NewEgg. Looks like the hot new mid-range video card in AGP
8x is going to be the Nvidia 6600GT but that was announced just on Nov 16.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Wayne Fulton

      5th Dec 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
fammacd=!SPAM^(E-Mail Removed) says...

>I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
>3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
>HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
>came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
>good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
>increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
>especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

Yes, thanks, it is sounding very fine. I think my video card will be on the
smallish side, my use is 2D instead of 3D.

I am planning on the Antec Sonata case too, largely for the psu. Antec's
website says the Sonata has a special True380S powersupply, the S appears to
be identical in all respects except that it has one fan instead of two. For
noise I assume, and this seems fine, no problem to me. I like that the True380
series can temp control the case fan(s) too. How is that feature working out
for you?

George Macdonald

      5th Dec 2004
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:05:12 -0600, Wayne Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>fammacd=!SPAM^(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
>>3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
>>HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
>>came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
>>good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
>>increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
>>especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

>Yes, thanks, it is sounding very fine. I think my video card will be on the
>smallish side, my use is 2D instead of 3D.
>
>I am planning on the Antec Sonata case too, largely for the psu. Antec's
>website says the Sonata has a special True380S powersupply, the S appears to
>be identical in all respects except that it has one fan instead of two. For
>noise I assume, and this seems fine, no problem to me. I like that the True380
>series can temp control the case fan(s) too. How is that feature working out
>for you?

Yes that 120mm fan with thermal speed control is worth a few dBs. What's
odd about the "special" True380s is that it does not follow AMD's
recommendations on case air flow - it has intake vent slots only on the
front of the PS casing, whereas AMD recommends the conventional ATX
configuration with an intake on the bottom, close to the CPU... apparently
losing the 2nd fan means losing the hole it sits in too. I don't think it
does any harm since it seems to me that the 120mm rear case exhaust fan is
doing most of the work of air flow for the CPU, mbrd etc.

Rgds, George Macdonald

The little lost angel

      6th Dec 2004
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:25:05 -0800, Bass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:53:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
>>worry any more about it.

>It also depends on what video card you have. The latest and best vid
>cards are very power hungry. If you have that cpu with let's say a
>Nvidia 6800GT vid card then you should be looking at an Antec True
>Power 480w or something similar.

I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me

Bass

      6th Dec 2004
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:42 GMT,
a?n?g?e?(E-Mail Removed) (The little lost angel) wrote:

>I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
>been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
>bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
>friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
>and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

Then I guess Nvidia are full of ****? 250w? The internet is rife with
stories of people blowing 250w and 300w PSU's on even an R9800pro.
I'm sure some high quality 250w PSU's will pass muster but it's better
to play it safe than stoopid wittle angel.