Possible to select / define printable area in access report?

Mikael Lindqvist

      16th Sep 2009
Hi everyone,

I have created a nice looking report but it doesn't fit on 1 page width
(landscape orientation)... and there's no way I can make it smaller since
some of the columns on the right contain text comments...

Now, these columns (text comments) aren't necessary to print, but how do I
"force" Access to ONLY print what's inside the 1 page width and neglect
everything that's outside of that border?

Kindly,
Mikael
Sweden

Duane Hookom

      16th Sep 2009
Have you tried designing your report to not exceed the right margin? You can
set controls to allow (or not) vertical growing.
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Mikael Lindqvist" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have created a nice looking report but it doesn't fit on 1 page width
> (landscape orientation)... and there's no way I can make it smaller since
> some of the columns on the right contain text comments...
>
> Now, these columns (text comments) aren't necessary to print, but how do I
> "force" Access to ONLY print what's inside the 1 page width and neglect
> everything that's outside of that border?
>
> Kindly,
> Mikael
> Sweden

Mikael Lindqvist

      17th Sep 2009
Hi and thanks for your promt reply and suggestion!

I have tried to fit everything within 1 page width but my reports is a
profit & loss account with 12 columns (for periods) plus a growing number of
columns with comments (1 column per month contains comments). So I would have
to make it really small and unreadable to achieve that.

Everything is built around a crosstab query.

As far as I can get my head around this the "best" solution would be if I
could:

a) Force the width to fit on 1 page (like you can do in excel)

b) Define "printable area" (leaving out the comment columns)

Right now, the only solution I can come up with is only print odd number
pages (even number pages contain comments). Also, I tried tagging the comment
columns "only visible on screen", but that doesn't stop the "emtpy" page from
appearing when I try to print the report).

Kindly,
Mikael

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> Have you tried designing your report to not exceed the right margin? You can
> set controls to allow (or not) vertical growing.
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Mikael Lindqvist" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have created a nice looking report but it doesn't fit on 1 page width
> > (landscape orientation)... and there's no way I can make it smaller since
> > some of the columns on the right contain text comments...
> >
> > Now, these columns (text comments) aren't necessary to print, but how do I
> > "force" Access to ONLY print what's inside the 1 page width and neglect
> > everything that's outside of that border?
> >
> > Kindly,
> > Mikael
> > Sweden

Duane Hookom

      17th Sep 2009
Another option might be to export your query to Excel and formatting for
print there.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Mikael Lindqvist" wrote:

> Hi and thanks for your promt reply and suggestion!
>
> I have tried to fit everything within 1 page width but my reports is a
> profit & loss account with 12 columns (for periods) plus a growing number of
> columns with comments (1 column per month contains comments). So I would have
> to make it really small and unreadable to achieve that.
>
> Everything is built around a crosstab query.
>
> As far as I can get my head around this the "best" solution would be if I
> could:
>
> a) Force the width to fit on 1 page (like you can do in excel)
>
> b) Define "printable area" (leaving out the comment columns)
>
> Right now, the only solution I can come up with is only print odd number
> pages (even number pages contain comments). Also, I tried tagging the comment
> columns "only visible on screen", but that doesn't stop the "emtpy" page from
> appearing when I try to print the report).
>
> Kindly,
> Mikael
>
> "Duane Hookom" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried designing your report to not exceed the right margin? You can
> > set controls to allow (or not) vertical growing.
> > --
> > Duane Hookom
> > Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Mikael Lindqvist" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have created a nice looking report but it doesn't fit on 1 page width
> > > (landscape orientation)... and there's no way I can make it smaller since
> > > some of the columns on the right contain text comments...
> > >
> > > Now, these columns (text comments) aren't necessary to print, but how do I
> > > "force" Access to ONLY print what's inside the 1 page width and neglect
> > > everything that's outside of that border?
> > >
> > > Kindly,
> > > Mikael
> > > Sweden

Mikael Lindqvist

      17th Sep 2009
Yes, but I'm using a dynamic report from crosstab query with everything quite
nicely formated in groups etc... it would be REALLY cumbersome to achieve
something similar in Excel (and I'm a fairly experienced Excel-user).

Access reports simply kick ass, but they are not perfect of course :P

(For example, I really wish it would be possible / easy to make values in
the report "clickable" so a user can drill down by clicking in the report)

/Mikael