Is it possible to install XP if the XP-CD is pre-copied to a blank harddrive?

XP Guy

      23rd Apr 2009
If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process after the
machine starts and boots itself into DOS?

There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you can do
that.

I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a protected
mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).

Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install can be
started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate command-line
switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.

So, it it possible?

Andrew E.

      23rd Apr 2009
Actually youre trying to install xp as the "preffered method" instead of a
windows explorer installation..You dont install the cd to the hd however,one
simply installs xp cd,set the BIOS to boot to xp cdrom as 1st boot
priority,hd
2nd (for installation),save & exit BIOS,boot to xp cd (DOS),select install
xp,
delete the partition,create one,then xp formats & installs auto.The copy cd
hd will only cause a malfunction,also,FAT32 is not a preffered file
system,its
outdated,use NTFS.

"XP Guy" wrote:

> If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
> boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
> drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process after the
> machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
>
> There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you can do
> that.
>
> I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a protected
> mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
>
> Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install can be
> started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate command-line
> switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
>
> So, it it possible?

Big_Al

      23rd Apr 2009
XP Guy said this on 4/22/2009 10:56 PM:
> If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
> boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
> drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process after the
> machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
>
> There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you can do
> that.
>
> I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a protected
> mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
>
> Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install can be
> started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate command-line
> switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
>
> So, it it possible?

If you've been around a while, you might remember the old days of win 95
or win 98 that required a boot floppy to load drivers etc. I think it
was win98se that actually made the first bootable CD to install from.
If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why not just
boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All the tools are there!

XP Guy

      23rd Apr 2009
Big_Al wrote:

> > So, it it possible?

> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
> made the first bootable CD to install from.
> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
> the tools are there!

Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?

First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was still
possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD image
that was pre-copied to the hard drive.

What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.

Does that help you wrap your head around this question?

Now can we get back to answering this question?

Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

Olórin

      23rd Apr 2009
XP Guy wrote:
> Big_Al wrote:
>
>>> So, it it possible?

>> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
>> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
>> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
>> made the first bootable CD to install from.
>> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
>> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
>> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
>> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
>> the tools are there!

> Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?
>
> First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was
> still possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD
> image that was pre-copied to the hard drive.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
> will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
> for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.
>
> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
>
> Now can we get back to answering this question?
>
> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
> drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree, but you're
the supplicant here.

Shenan Stanley

      23rd Apr 2009
XP Guy wrote:
> If I have a blank hard drive that I've partitioned as FAT32 and will
> boot into DOS, and if I copy the entire contents of an XP cd to the
> drive, is there a way I can launch the XP installation process
> after the machine starts and boots itself into DOS?
>
> There doesn't seem to be much on the net that explicitly says you
> can do that.
>
> I've tried, and setup.exe requires that it be launched from a
> protected mode (32-bit) environment (ie like win-98 I guess).
>
> Some other comments I've come across is that possibly the install
> can be started from DOS by running winnt.exe with the appropriate
> command-line switches. Yet other comments refer to bart-pe.
>
> So, it it possible?

Yes.

Google could have told you that. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

XP Guy

      23rd Apr 2009
"Olórin" wrote:

> > What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive
> > that will then be installed into a system that does not have a
> > CD drive and for which may not have any ability to boot from any
> > external device.
> >
> > Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
> >
> > Now can we get back to answering this question?
> >
> > Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a
> > hard drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

> Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree,
> but you're the supplicant here.

And you're obviously the arrogant, stuck-up ass hole here.

And nice try, by the way, to essentially show that even you can't answer
the question. By deflecting the question, you are essentially telling
everyone that you can't answer it.

David B.

      23rd Apr 2009
I would think that a person that goes by "XP Guy" would be able to figure
this out on his own. At the very least he would know how to use a search
engine.

Olórin said this on 4/23/2009 9:22 AM:
> XP Guy wrote:

>>> If you've been around a while, you might remember the old
>>> days of win 95 or win 98 that required a boot floppy to
>>> load drivers etc. I think it was win98se that actually
>>> made the first bootable CD to install from.
>>> If you replicate a win9x boot floppy, that might work.
>>> And there are many utility boot CD's like BartPE etc that can be
>>> created, but as others have said, if you boot from a CD why
>>> not just boot from the Windows XP cd and do it right. All
>>> the tools are there!

>> Why can't you people just answer the god damn question?
>>
>> First of all, even for win-98, even if the CD is bootable, it was
>> still possible to run setup.exe from DOS and to install 98 from a CD
>> image that was pre-copied to the hard drive.
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive that
>> will then be installed into a system that does not have a CD drive and
>> for which may not have any ability to boot from any external device.
>>
>> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
>>
>> Now can we get back to answering this question?
>>
>> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a hard
>> drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

> Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree, but you're
> the supplicant here.

I agree. Go to bed and get up on the right side.!!

Olórin

      23rd Apr 2009
XP Guy wrote:
> "Olórin" wrote:
>
>>> What I'm trying to do is to pre-copy the XP cd onto a hard drive
>>> that will then be installed into a system that does not have a
>>> CD drive and for which may not have any ability to boot from any
>>> external device.
>>>
>>> Does that help you wrap your head around this question?
>>>
>>> Now can we get back to answering this question?
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can launch the XP installation process from a
>>> hard drive if I pre-copy an XP cd to the drive?

>> Not with that attitude. Understand your frustration to a degree,
>> but you're the supplicant here.

> And you're obviously the arrogant, stuck-up ass hole here.
>
> And nice try, by the way, to essentially show that even you can't
> answer the question. By deflecting the question, you are essentially
> telling everyone that you can't answer it.

"Even I" can't answer the question? Well, you sure as **** can't; but more
importantly, you can't even ask politely.

Whatever I may have been telling everyone else, the one thing I *was* trying
to tell you has clearly gone right over your immature head.

So long.