Port 3389 where and how and more

=?Utf-8?B?S2lt?=

      2nd Jan 2004
I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected laptop at home. When I try to connect it, I get the following message: The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connectionsâ€
When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl office one I got two: ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I use
It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my office comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new ones... or else?
I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about firewall and port 3389 how do I do that and where..
Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and don't speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask either.
Thank you

Shenan Stanley

      3rd Jan 2004
Kim wrote:
> I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected
> laptop at home. When I try to connect it, I get the following
> message: The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote
> connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to
> accept new connections. When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl
> office one I got two: ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I
> use.
> It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my
> office comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new
> ones... or else?
> I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about
> firewall and port 3389 how do I do that and where...
> Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and
> don't speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask
> either.

If you have your Windows XP ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) turned on for
your office PC (you should if you do not) - the firewall configuration
already has a built in check-box to allow you to open the correct ports for
the default Remote Desktop setup. See this web page:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp

Scroll down to the instructions and you should see the checkbox I speak of
for "Remote Desktop". Check it. (Again - assumes you have the firewall ON,
and you SHOULD.)

You need the IP of the machine you are connecting TO.. not from.
You need Windows XP Professional. XP Home will not allow this type of
connection.

For more information, a Microsoft search (and a Google search) brought up:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315328

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      4th Jan 2004
One easy way to get your public IP address is to browse to the
http://www.whatismyip.com from the computer at the office (before you
leave). This will give you your public IP address.

From that point, it depends on your setup. If you have a router, you
must forward TCP 3389 there to the ethernet IP of your office
computer. Post back with a bit more details of what all is involved
in your office connection and we can give a bit more feedback.

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:46:07 -0800, Kim
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected laptop at home. When I try to connect it, I get the following message: The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections…
>When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl office one I got two: ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I use.
>It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my office comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new ones... or else?
>I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about firewall and port 3389 how do I do that and where...
>Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and don't speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask either.
>Thank you.

Bill Sanderson

      4th Jan 2004
We need to find a better URL for this service, if possible. Someone posted
CHECKMYIP.COM, but it is located in AU, and requires ActiveX to run, so it
is rather slow to load and then doesn't work in my present browser anyway!

WhatismyIP has pretty obnoxious ads--there must be something better. I
suppose we could use GRC, but......

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One easy way to get your public IP address is to browse to the
> http://www.whatismyip.com from the computer at the office (before you
> leave). This will give you your public IP address.
>
> From that point, it depends on your setup. If you have a router, you
> must forward TCP 3389 there to the ethernet IP of your office
> computer. Post back with a bit more details of what all is involved
> in your office connection and we can give a bit more feedback.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
> (E-Mail Removed)

> Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net
>
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:46:07 -0800, Kim
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected laptop at
>>home. When I try to connect it, I get the following message: The client
>>cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be
>>enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections.
>>When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl office one I got two:
>>ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I use.
>>It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my office
>>comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new ones... or
>>else?
>>I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about firewall and
>>port 3389 how do I do that and where...
>>Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and don't
>>speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask either.
>>Thank you.

Shenan Stanley

      4th Jan 2004

http://www.myip.com/

--
<- Shenan ->

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      5th Jan 2004
I don't notice ads anymore with my browser (MyIE2), so I haven't been
paying attention anymore...

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:13:58 -0500, "Bill Sanderson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We need to find a better URL for this service, if possible. Someone posted
>CHECKMYIP.COM, but it is located in AU, and requires ActiveX to run, so it
>is rather slow to load and then doesn't work in my present browser anyway!
>
>WhatismyIP has pretty obnoxious ads--there must be something better. I
>suppose we could use GRC, but......
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One easy way to get your public IP address is to browse to the
>> http://www.whatismyip.com from the computer at the office (before you
>> leave). This will give you your public IP address.
>>
>> From that point, it depends on your setup. If you have a router, you
>> must forward TCP 3389 there to the ethernet IP of your office
>> computer. Post back with a bit more details of what all is involved
>> in your office connection and we can give a bit more feedback.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:46:07 -0800, Kim
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected laptop at
>>>home. When I try to connect it, I get the following message: The client
>>>cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be
>>>enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections.
>>>When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl office one I got two:
>>>ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I use.
>>>It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my office
>>>comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new ones... or
>>>else?
>>>I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about firewall and
>>>port 3389 how do I do that and where...
>>>Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and don't
>>>speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask either.
>>>Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?S2lt?=

      5th Jan 2004
Hi,
I have tried everything everybody was so kind to help me with.
I figured out my IP address, set the firewall and port 3389 but if I want to connect I still get this message: : The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections…

when it is time to enter the computer name, browse for another computer there is none to choose from. Aren,t I supposed to get my office computer in that scrollbar and if, how.

I also get this message if I use the log on window.: Verifying username and password …
Error 691 access was denied because the username and /or password was invalid on the domain...

what is left I can do ....

Please don,t give up on me.

Bill Sanderson

      6th Jan 2004
That qualifies!

and I might even be able to remember it--thanks.

"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill Sanderson wrote:
>> We need to find a better URL for this service, if possible. Someone
>> posted CHECKMYIP.COM, but it is located in AU, and requires ActiveX
>> to run, so it is rather slow to load and then doesn't work in my
>> present browser anyway!
>>
>> WhatismyIP has pretty obnoxious ads--there must be something better.
>> I suppose we could use GRC, but......

> http://www.myip.com/
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      6th Jan 2004
Nope, you won't be able to browse for the computer name via the drop
down box. This is for enterprises who support terminal servers.

As for the other error, make sure you supply a username and password
that are valid on the machine you are connecting to, which may or may
not be valid for the computer you are currently using.

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:01:06 -0800, Kim
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have tried everything everybody was so kind to help me with.
>I figured out my IP address, set the firewall and port 3389 but if I want to connect I still get this message: : The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections…
>
>when it is time to enter the computer name, browse for another computer there is none to choose from. Aren,t I supposed to get my office computer in that scrollbar and if, how.
>
>I also get this message if I use the log on window.: Verifying username and password …
>Error 691 access was denied because the username and /or password was invalid on the domain...
>

>what is left I can do ....
>
>Please don,t give up on me.

rotund

      29th Jan 2004

I am in the same boat as you are. I cannot connect to my home machin
running XP Pro SP1 from work, but I can successfully use Remote Deskto
from my home machine to my machine at the office. I have removed Zon
Alarm Pro, turned off MS Internet Connection Firewall ( I am no
comfortable with that but there it is) and traffic on 3389 is set t
pass through the D-Link dsl router. So far nothing I have tried wil
work. I know that the router is passing traffic on port 3389 since
can RDC to the office from this machine. Any suggestions?

John

rotun