porn removal

Mark

      6th Aug 2003
We held a training class where i work and when i received
my laptop back i found a weird thing. If i am on any
webpage and i right click, in that dialog box that comes
up on the bottom above where it says properties there is a
line that says "<<<<<free porn galleries>>>>>" I have no
idea how it got there or how to get rid of it. I have run
spybot as well as adaware with no luck. I have deleted
suspicious objects from my browser. I think that it would
be held in the registry i just dont know where. I would
appreciate any help.

siljaline

      6th Aug 2003
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:05:13 -0700, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We held a training class where i work and when i received
>my laptop back i found a weird thing. If i am on any
>webpage and i right click, in that dialog box that comes
>up on the bottom above where it says properties there is a
>line that says "<<<<<free porn galleries>>>>>" I have no
>idea how it got there or how to get rid of it. I have run
>spybot as well as adaware with no luck. I have deleted
>suspicious objects from my browser. I think that it would
>be held in the registry i just dont know where. I would
>appreciate any help.

Removal Tool, your choice, novice users, Lavasoft's Ad-aware,
http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/new/priva...ty/aaw6181.exe
Lavasoft/Ad-aware home: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Mirror site: http://www.lavasoft.de/

Advanced users, SpyBot Search & Destroy,
http://studserver.uni-dortmund.de/~s...spybotsd12.exe

SpyBot home: http://security.kolla.de/
SpyBot How-To: http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Install either but both are not necessary, reboot, read FAQ and overview, use
online update feature to obtain the latest reference files, scan for Spyware
much like you would with your pre-installed anti-virus scanner.
Rid your machine of unwanted Spyware pests.

HTH

--
siljaline

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Mark

      7th Aug 2003
Have tried running spybot and rebooting, but no luck.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>We held a training class where i work and when i

received
>>my laptop back i found a weird thing. If i am on any
>>webpage and i right click, in that dialog box that comes
>>up on the bottom above where it says properties there is

>>line that says "<<<<<free porn galleries>>>>>" I have no
>>idea how it got there or how to get rid of it. I have

run
>>spybot as well as adaware with no luck. I have deleted
>>suspicious objects from my browser. I think that it

would
>>be held in the registry i just dont know where. I would
>>appreciate any help.

>Removal Tool, your choice, novice users, Lavasoft's Ad-

aware,
>http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/new/priva...curity/aaw6181.

exe
>Lavasoft/Ad-aware home: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
>Mirror site: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>
>Advanced users, SpyBot Search & Destroy,
>http://studserver.uni-dortmund.de/~s...spybotsd12.exe
>
>SpyBot home: http://security.kolla.de/
>SpyBot How-To: http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
>
>Install either but both are not necessary, reboot, read

FAQ and overview, use
>online update feature to obtain the latest reference

files, scan for Spyware
>much like you would with your pre-installed anti-virus

scanner.
>Rid your machine of unwanted Spyware pests.
>
>HTH
>

>--
>siljaline
>
>"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a

sucker's game
>because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be

indistinguishable from
>-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite

amounts of free time."
>- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
>.

siljaline

      7th Aug 2003
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:52:36 -0700, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have tried running spybot and rebooting, but no luck.

Go to:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Click: "Save Log" (generates "hijackthis.log")

Next, HijackThis | Config [button] | Misc Tools [button]
Click: Generate StartupList log [button] (generates "startuplist.txt")

Next, go to the below location: Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/in...74&act=SF&f=11

Sign in, then copy and paste both files in your message.

HTH

--
siljaline

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Mark

      8th Aug 2003
Goose,

Thank you very much! You really saved my tail.

Goose

      8th Aug 2003
You're welcome, but credits should to go to Alan Edwards,
mentioned as the source below.

Regards, Goose.

Goose

      8th Aug 2003
By the way, you may want to check your registry for
www.the-exit.com(/search). It may be related to this other
problem. Hijack this! helped very much to identify this
annoying thing and removing it.

Regards, Goose.