Lonnie Walker

      28th Aug 2003
Is there anything I can do to cut out the popups that
keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.

Lonnie

Perdita X. Nitt

      28th Aug 2003
Lonnie Walker wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to cut out the popups that
> keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
> applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.
>
> Lonnie

The below is shamelessly stolen from Bruce Chambers, who explains things
more eloquently than I ever could!

This particular "sales method" is strikingly similar to the "protection"
rackets offered to small businesses by organized criminals. Yes, it's a
scam; no reputable business would need to resort to extortion. Particularly
since they're trying to sell you a type of protection that is already
available to you free of charge.

This type of spam has become quite common over the past few months, and
unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates that you
haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet.
Your data probably hasn't been compromised by these specific advertisements,
but if you're open to this exploit, you may well be open to other threats.
Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Disabling the
messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom, and
does nothing to secure your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up
with" these messages and the problem they represent is particularly
foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing more than
disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger service is a "head in
the sand" approach to computer security.

The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups; they're actually
providing a useful service by acting as a security alert. The true problem
is the unsecured computer, and you've been advised to merely turn off the
warnings. How is this helpful?

Equivalent Scenario 1: Somewhere in a house, a small fire starts, and sets
off the smoke alarm. You, not immediately seeing any fire/smoke, complain
about the noise of the smoke detector, and are advised to remove the smoke
detector's battery and go back to sleep.

Equivalent Scenario 2: You over-exert your shoulder at work or play,
causing bursitis. After weeks of annoying and sometimes excruciating pain
whenever you try to reach over your head, you go to a doctor and say, while
demonstrating the motion, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor, being
as helpful as some of your respondents, replies, "Well, don't do that."

I'm beginning to think that the people deliberately posting such bad advice
are hacker-wannabes who have no true interest in helping you secure your
system, but would rather give you a false sense of security while ensuring
that your computer is still open to exploitation.

--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

Just a nutter

      28th Aug 2003
Hi there,

Go to www.gsr.com, download his free program called "Shoot The
Messenger" and run it = Bye Bye Popups!!!

You might also want to run his Shields-Up system tester...it may alarm you
at how open your system is....and whilst mentioning this...also go to
www.lavasoft.com and get their free (and very good) Ad-Aware software...that
will clean your system of any spyware you may have their.....it did wonders
for my system today.

I cannot remember his name...except that his first name is Steve, but
the chap who runs gsr.com is one of the experts in this field and is a
constant annoyance to Microsoft, due to him revealing the inadequacies of
their OS.

With all things, "The proof is in the tasting", try the advice on
GSR.COM, try at least the first three tests on the Shields-Up section before
you install any of the software I have mentioned....and then try the same
three tests again....I thought my system was fairly secure....how wrong I
was.

Many Regards.......

"Lonnie Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:02de01c36d91$955b9b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there anything I can do to cut out the popups that
> keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
> applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.
>
> Lonnie

Just a nutter

      28th Aug 2003
Rats...its the proper address is https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 sorry
about the mis - information in previous message

Many Regards...........

"Just a nutter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W_s3b.6877$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> Go to www.gsr.com, download his free program called "Shoot The
> Messenger" and run it = Bye Bye Popups!!!
>
> You might also want to run his Shields-Up system tester...it may alarm you
> at how open your system is....and whilst mentioning this...also go to
> www.lavasoft.com and get their free (and very good) Ad-Aware

software...that
> will clean your system of any spyware you may have their.....it did

wonders
> for my system today.
>
> I cannot remember his name...except that his first name is Steve, but
> the chap who runs gsr.com is one of the experts in this field and is a
> constant annoyance to Microsoft, due to him revealing the inadequacies of
> their OS.
>
> With all things, "The proof is in the tasting", try the advice on
> GSR.COM, try at least the first three tests on the Shields-Up section

before
> you install any of the software I have mentioned....and then try the same
> three tests again....I thought my system was fairly secure....how wrong I
> was.
>
> Many Regards.......
>
> "Lonnie Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:02de01c36d91$955b9b00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there anything I can do to cut out the popups that
> > keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
> > applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.
> >
> > Lonnie

Perdita X. Dream

      30th Aug 2003
kevin wrote:
> [...]

Except that these pop-ups have nothing whatsoever to do with IE (something
that you'd have known had you read my reply).