{POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover?

RonB

      11th Feb 2007
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:47:16 -0500, Nedd Ludd wrote:

> Does Open Office have a Grammar Checker?
>
> Didn't think so.

Does anyone actually use a Grammar Checker? I had one for WordStar 5 way
back when, tried it out -- maybe twice. Found out that it suggestions were
stupid. (I'm sure it wouldn't have liked that last sentence.)

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

RonB

      11th Feb 2007
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:53:25 -0500, Susan Bugher wrote:

> Nedd Ludd wrote:
>
>> "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> : No point int trying to make MSO to work, you have OpenOffice, which does
>> the
>> : job for you and offers features that MSO don't.
>>
>> Does Open Office have a Grammar Checker?
>>
>> Didn't think so.

> http://members.forbes.com/fyi/2000/1...heck_9-28.html

Good link. So true.

--

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:26:10 +0100, Stephan Rose wrote:

> Downloading kubuntu DVD right now...after trying ubuntu gonna check
> that version out and see how I like it.

Ubuntu uses Gnome, Kubuntu uses KDE. As far as I can tell that's the only
difference. I tried both, but I like KDE better, so if I went with an
xBuntu, it would be Kubuntu. I kind of like the idea of keeping the
distribution down to one disk this way.

--

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:39:04 +0100, Stephan Rose wrote:

> Hmm...i do have one question about this, as this all still kind of
> confuses me a little bit.
>
> I realize that they are different GUIs but what does this mean for me
> from a developer perspective?
>
> I am currently porting one of my major apps to be cross-platform and
> once it is reasonably functional again I will try it out on linux to
> see how it performs.
>
> But do I actually have to take what flavor GUI someone is running into
> account as far as my code goes?
>
> I am using wxWidgets now for my UI code which should solve my problems
> but the whole deal still confuses me a little bit.
>
> Having done nothing but windows development all my life, entering new
> and unknown territories here. =)

I'm not a programmer, so I can't really answer your question. Hopefully a
few programmers here will do so. I'm pretty sure, though, that you can
download and install Gnome on Kubuntu or KDE on Ubuntu -- many of the
Linux distributions provide both and it's just a matter of choosing which
you want to use when you login.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

proteanthread

      11th Feb 2007
Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
? Comments ? Flames ?

How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :-)

Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.

-Woodzy
http://www.rtdos.com

paulmd@efn.org

      11th Feb 2007
On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
> ? Comments ? Flames ?
>
> How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
> version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?
>
> I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
> version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
> programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
> Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
> Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :-)
>
> Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
> label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.
>
> -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

At some point, I'll have to support vista, so I'll be forced to a move
on my home system sooner.

I tried Ubuntu 6 and do like it, but it's still not prime time.

Stephan Rose

      11th Feb 2007
On 11 Feb 2007 10:33:03 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
>> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
>> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
>> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
>> ? Comments ? Flames ?
>>
>> How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
>> version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?
>>
>> I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
>> version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
>> programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
>> Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
>> Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :-)
>>
>> Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
>> label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.
>>
>> -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

>Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
>modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
>biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

128MB?? I doubt that'll be enough...

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

kimi no koto omoidasu hi nante nai no wa
kimi no koto wasureta toki ga nai kara

paulmd@efn.org

      11th Feb 2007
On Feb 11, 10:42 am, Stephan Rose <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2007 10:33:03 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
> >> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
> >> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
> >> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
> >> ? Comments ? Flames ?

> >> How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
> >> version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

> >> I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
> >> version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
> >> programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
> >> Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
> >> Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :-)

> >> Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
> >> label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.

> >> -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

> >Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
> >modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
> >biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

> 128MB?? I doubt that'll be enough...

That's the spec for running Aero. Worst case scenerio is I get a
radeon 9250, or chose not to run areo.

> --
> Stephan
> 2003 Yamaha R6
>
> kimi no koto omoidasu hi nante nai no wa
> kimi no koto wasureta toki ga nai kara

Sid Knee

      11th Feb 2007
proteanthread wrote:

> ? Comments ? Flames ?

This (microsoft.public.win2000.general) doesn't seem like a particularly
appropriate forum for this.

.... oh, I see you spammed it widely .... plonk!

      11th Feb 2007
proteanthread wrote:

> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
> ? Comments ? Flames ?

Start with LiveCDs - they run from CD and don't need to be installed.

http://www.livecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com

Micoshaft crap is second rate sub standard resource
hogging laptop power wasting product compared newly
released Beryl running on various Linuxes such as Ubuntu.

Downloaded the very latest beta release of Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn)...
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/feisty/herd-3/

Install Beryl using the 3 click guide which links from here...
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/I...eryl_on_Ubuntu

And so after 3 clicks, suddenly you have Beryl up and running on your PC!!!