poledit.exe has disappeared

Norman

      8th Oct 2003
I used poledit several months ago, to not display last
known user profile on logon. Then I started seeing this
ignored: the last user name reappeared on each
subsequentlogon, for both admin and other users. I am up
to date on all critical updates as of 7 Oct 2003

I want to go back to where I wanted. However, poledit.exe
has disappeared from my hard drive.

Can I download another copy of poledit.exe and use it
without further complications? Where do I get it?

Steven Umbach

      8th Oct 2003
Look in the I386 folder on the install cdrom or search your hard drive for it. I
often find multiple copies of files in service pack folders, etc. -- Steve

"Norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:24f2401c38d4e$04b1ea00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I used poledit several months ago, to not display last
> known user profile on logon. Then I started seeing this
> ignored: the last user name reappeared on each
> subsequentlogon, for both admin and other users. I am up
> to date on all critical updates as of 7 Oct 2003
>
> I want to go back to where I wanted. However, poledit.exe
> has disappeared from my hard drive.
>
> Can I download another copy of poledit.exe and use it
> without further complications? Where do I get it?

Norman

      8th Oct 2003
poledit.exe is nowhere to be found on my hard drive or on
my installation CD or on my service pack 2 CD. My other
service packshave been downloaded. I searched the details
of I386 files on my CDs and my hard drive. Nothing.

The only thing close is a poledit.chm in another partition
for booting in Windows 98, which I interpret to be part of
a Help system. poledit.exe does not appear on that
partition either.

poledit may be contained in some compressed .cab file, but
I don't know how to extract it.

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

      11th Oct 2003
Hi Norman,

You can find poledit and its supporting files on a Microsoft Windows 98 Installation
CDROM in the following directory:

Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit

For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

KB318753 - HOW TO: Create a System Policy Setting in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=318753

Alternatively, poledit and its supporting files (including Winnt.adm, Windows.adm,
and Common.adm) are installed when you install the Windows 2000 Administrative Tools
package (adminpak.msi) on a Windows 2000 Professional.

To install the adminpak.msi on a computer running Windows 2000 SP4, use the -x switch
to extract all of the Service Pack Files from w2ksp4.exe (the Network Installation
download that contains the self-extractable package with all of the service pack
files). Then double-click adminpak.msi and respond to the prompts as appropriate.

For information about the extract command-line option for w2ksp4.exe, see:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Installation and Deployment Guide
SECTION: Command-Line Options Only for W2ksp4.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...4/spdeploy.htm

And more information about administering Group Policy to down-level client computers
using the System Policy Editor tool see:

KB269799 - HOW TO: Secure Windows in a Non-Domain Environment
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=269799

Windows 2000 Group Policy White Paper
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...grouppolwp.asp

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000

: "Norman" <nbnorth AT wa-net DOT com>
: Wrote in message news:24f2401c38d4e$04b1ea00$(E-Mail Removed)
: Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:41 PM
: