Please make 888.com popups stop

escape

      30th Jul 2007

See today's most popular deals at Dealighted.com
Digg it!
Hi,

I am being hit with an 888.com popup which I can't seem to stop. I'v
tried add/remove programs, but I can't find it. I've run adaware, bu
that doesn't do anything. I'm not sure what information you need t
help me solve this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciate

--
escape

Leythos

      30th Jul 2007
says...
> I am being hit with an 888.com popup which I can't seem to stop.

Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
place to download their application.

No person of sound mind would download files from a hack site that
requires a password to access the unknown files when they are available
directly from the vendors.

Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
them to properly clean your system.

First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
order that I would use them myself:

Dave Lipman's tools:
Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

AdAwareSE can be found here:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

SmitRem.exe by Noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, removal tool
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click...click.php?id=1

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Bob Harris

      31st Jul 2007
Besides the suggestions provided by the preivous reply, you might try installing an ad-avoidance "hosts" file.

"hosts" is usually found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc". But, it may be very small and contain almost nothing.

If you place a web address in the hosts file, then equate that to IP address 127.0.0.1, that will point back to your PC.

For example, my hosts file includes the following line:
127.0.0.1 free.888.com

Note that lines that begin with "#" in the hosts file are comments.

You can get a free hosts file that block many, many popups and ads at: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The one problem with using hosts to block popups is that some popups are required for some websites to function. For example, I can not view video clips on foxnews.com, unless I unblock a few addresses related to doubleclick ads. That can be done by simply adding "#" to the line in the hosts file.