Please insert the disk: 1 message

John Turner

      16th Feb 2004
Hi,

Please could you comment on the following error...

MSI (s) (CC:0C): File: C:\Program Files\Stack Limited\Shared
Files\StackNet32.dll; Overwrite; No patch; Existing file is a lower
version
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source for file 'StackNet32.dll' is uncompressed, at
'E:\DISK1\program files\Stack Limited\Shared Files\'.
InstallFiles: File: StackNet32.dll, Directory: C:\Program Files\Stack
Limited\Shared Files\, Size: 245760
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Re-applying security from existing file.
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Verifying accessibility of file: StackNet32.dll
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Note: 1: 2203 2: E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack
DataPro.msi 3: -2147287037
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source is incorrect. Unable to open or validate MSI package
E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi.
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Note: 1: 2203 2: E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack
DataPro.msi 3: -2147287037
MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source is incorrect. Unable to open or validate MSI package
E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi.
DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError

The installer is performing a Minor Upgrade by default. The installed
version of my product DataPro 3.0 was installed from a CDROM drive (D:\).
This was an archive CDROM so the setup program wasn't on the root it was in
a folder called 'DataPro 3.0.0 Standard'. The upgrade version DataPro 3.1
was on a flash drive (E:\DISK1). The installer has built a path here that
does not exist 'E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi'. It seems to
have taken the current directory drive (E:\) and appended the path of the
original version 3.0 msi database (E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard).

If all versions of a product are always in a root directory of the same name
and the user always inserts the installation CDROM into the same drive this
problem would never occur, however, this is not always the case.

Many Thanks

John

Carolyn Napier [MSFT]

      11th Mar 2004
The behavior you are seeing is expected. The Installer does not allow for
different media sources to have the package at different locations. The package
must be either at the root or in the subfolder. When in the subfolder, all media
must use the same subfolder... and for that matter the same package name
whenever you deal with small and minor upgrades.

Whether or not the Installer looks for the package in a location other than the
root of the CD depends upon the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value. If you originally
install from a CD where the MSI package is not at the root, the Installer will
automatically determine the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value and set it for you. If you
however do not install from the original CD then you would need to set the
property on the command line.

Even given that, you can't change the location of the package on media (i.e. the
MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value) between small and minor upgrades.

For more information, consult the documentation on the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH property
at <
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...h_property.asp
>.

Hope this helps,