Please help to recover missing file

newbie

      20th Jul 2005
I am faced with a strange problem.
I was working with worksheet in Excel when there was a power shutdown.
The worksheet was in saved condition.
When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished.
Now whenever I try to access the worksheet I get the message that worksheet
could not be found.
As my pc is window xp pro. the worksheet should have saved itself as it does
in word program.
I have cheeked Recycle Bin and ran search program without any success.
Is there any way to retrieve the file.
TIA.

Otto Moehrbach

      20th Jul 2005
Where was the file when you accessed it before the power failure? On your
hard drive? On a floppy? On a CD?
What do you mean by "The worksheet was in saved condition."?
What do you mean by "When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished."? Do
you mean that it was no longer on your hard drive? What constitutes
"vanished"?
You say "Now whenever I try to access the worksheet ". How are you trying
to access the file?
You say "the worksheet should have saved itself". When do you think the
file should have saved itself? HATH Otto

"newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am faced with a strange problem.
> I was working with worksheet in Excel when there was a power shutdown.
> The worksheet was in saved condition.
> When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished.
> Now whenever I try to access the worksheet I get the message that
> worksheet
> could not be found.
> As my pc is window xp pro. the worksheet should have saved itself as it
> does
> in word program.
> I have cheeked Recycle Bin and ran search program without any success.
> Is there any way to retrieve the file.
> TIA.

newbie

      21st Jul 2005
HI,
File was in my hard drive.
By saved condition I meant to say that it was an old file on which I was
working when the power failure occurred.
Previously file was in my document folder from where I could open it.
Now the file is simply not there in my document folder.
In my excel program and in my recent document I can see the name of the
file, but when I click to open it, I get the message that file is not found.
In windows xp there is a provision to save the unsaved portion of file
during power outage. At least it is there in word program. I don't know
whether same provision is there in excel or not.
Any idea how the file could be retrieved?
TIA.

"Otto Moehrbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where was the file when you accessed it before the power failure? On your
> hard drive? On a floppy? On a CD?
> What do you mean by "The worksheet was in saved condition."?
> What do you mean by "When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished."?

Do
> you mean that it was no longer on your hard drive? What constitutes
> "vanished"?
> You say "Now whenever I try to access the worksheet ". How are you trying
> to access the file?
> You say "the worksheet should have saved itself". When do you think the
> file should have saved itself? HATH Otto
>
> "newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am faced with a strange problem.
> > I was working with worksheet in Excel when there was a power shutdown.
> > The worksheet was in saved condition.
> > When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished.
> > Now whenever I try to access the worksheet I get the message that
> > worksheet
> > could not be found.
> > As my pc is window xp pro. the worksheet should have saved itself as it
> > does
> > in word program.
> > I have cheeked Recycle Bin and ran search program without any success.
> > Is there any way to retrieve the file.
> > TIA.

Otto Moehrbach

      21st Jul 2005
That feature is a Windows feature. I have had numerous power outages over
many years and I have never had a file to disappear in the process, so I
can't help you with that. I gather that you do not have a backup. Consider
yourself admonished for not backing up regularly. There are reasons you
should back up your files regularly. You just ran into one of them. HTH