Where to place Primary partitions?

Bob H

      12th Jan 2005
Ok, I've got 2 primary partitions on HD0 ath beggining of the drive.
I installed Win2k first, then installed WinXP on 2 separate partitions,
and WinXP is on the first partition, then win2k on the second one.
I also have a Linux distro on HD1
I use a bootmanger to load each OS as I wish.

I have increased the size of my Win2k partition from 5Gb to 8.9Gb, and I
was going to do the same with my winxp partition until I realised that
if I did that then my Win2k OS would be moved to the right of 1024
cylinder boundary, so then I wondered if win2k would still boot?

Any thoughts, anyone?
Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Dave Patrick

      12th Jan 2005
Normally shouldn't be an issue.

Setup Does Not Check for INT-13 Extensions Before Creating System Partition

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob H" wrote:
| Ok, I've got 2 primary partitions on HD0 ath beggining of the drive.
| I installed Win2k first, then installed WinXP on 2 separate partitions,
| and WinXP is on the first partition, then win2k on the second one.
| I also have a Linux distro on HD1
| I use a bootmanger to load each OS as I wish.
|
| I have increased the size of my Win2k partition from 5Gb to 8.9Gb, and I
| was going to do the same with my winxp partition until I realised that
| if I did that then my Win2k OS would be moved to the right of 1024
| cylinder boundary, so then I wondered if win2k would still boot?
|
| Any thoughts, anyone?
| Thanks
| --
| Bob H
| Leeds UK

Bob H

      12th Jan 2005
Dave Patrick wrote:
> Normally shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Setup Does Not Check for INT-13 Extensions Before Creating System Partition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q240672

Thanks, but I am not sure I understand that correctly. I know it says
that setup does not check for INT-13 Extensions etc and to me, that
seems to be a problem, as it gives symptoms, cause and resolution.
All my partitions are NTFS, and I don't want to re install anything
again by doing something that won't let an OS boot.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Dave Patrick

      12th Jan 2005
Check your mobo and or system bios manual to verify that it supports INT-13
Extensions.

--

"Bob H" wrote:
| Thanks, but I am not sure I understand that correctly. I know it says
| that setup does not check for INT-13 Extensions etc and to me, that
| seems to be a problem, as it gives symptoms, cause and resolution.
| All my partitions are NTFS, and I don't want to re install anything
| again by doing something that won't let an OS boot.
|
| Thanks
|
| --
| Bob H
| Leeds UK

Bob H

      13th Jan 2005
Dave Patrick wrote:
> Check your mobo and or system bios manual to verify that it supports INT-13
> Extensions.

Just had a look through my mobo manual, and it doesn't say that it
supports INT-13 Extensions, so I guess it doesn't.
So that could mean that if I extended my winxp partition from 5Gb to
8.9Gb, it would then push my Win2k partition past the 1024 cylinder
boundary, and maybe not boot???

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Dave Patrick

      13th Jan 2005
Unless it is quite old I would guess that it does support INT-13 Extensions.
They probably all have since year 2000 or so.

--

"Bob H" wrote:
| Just had a look through my mobo manual, and it doesn't say that it
| supports INT-13 Extensions, so I guess it doesn't.
| So that could mean that if I extended my winxp partition from 5Gb to
| 8.9Gb, it would then push my Win2k partition past the 1024 cylinder
| boundary, and maybe not boot???
|
| Thanks
|
| --
| Bob H
| Leeds UK

Bob H

      13th Jan 2005
Dave Patrick wrote:
> Unless it is quite old I would guess that it does support INT-13 Extensions.
> They probably all have since year 2000 or so.

Well, it is an Asus A7N8X-X Rev 2.0, and is about 12/15 months old now
at a guess

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Dave Patrick

      13th Jan 2005
You might ask them here to confirm.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...mainboard.asus

--

"Bob H"wrote:
| Well, it is an Asus A7N8X-X Rev 2.0, and is about 12/15 months old now
| at a guess
|
| --
| Bob H
| Leeds UK

Dan Seur

      14th Jan 2005
There's no question that your Asus board supports int13 extensions.
Since you seem to be using a 3rd party partitioning utility, why not
just try what you want to do with that XP partition? If it won't boot
you can just restore the original size. (I'm assuming you've got a
diskette-bootable partitioning utility here, such as PartitionMagic.)