Pivot based chart and adding secondary axis

DKS

      18th Apr 2008
Hi

I would love to have a pivot based chart and superimpose another set of
'regular' series on a secondary axis.

Is there a trick to get around doing this retaining the 'pivot' features?

MTIA

Jon Peltier

      18th Apr 2008
You can't add data from outside the parent pivot table to a pivot chart. It
is possible to add pivot data to a regular chart, if you use the Source Data
dialog, Series tab to add the data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"DKS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I would love to have a pivot based chart and superimpose another set of
> 'regular' series on a secondary axis.
>
> Is there a trick to get around doing this retaining the 'pivot' features?
>
> MTIA

DKS

      18th Apr 2008
Would this "link" the chart to the pivot table, i.e. I can select pivot rows
or columns to display and the chart changes automatically?

Or would this technique simply use the data in a pivot table as regular data?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can't add data from outside the parent pivot table to a pivot chart. It
> is possible to add pivot data to a regular chart, if you use the Source Data
> dialog, Series tab to add the data.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "DKS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I would love to have a pivot based chart and superimpose another set of
> > 'regular' series on a secondary axis.
> >
> > Is there a trick to get around doing this retaining the 'pivot' features?
> >
> > MTIA

Jon Peltier

      19th Apr 2008
The regular chart uses the data as regular data. If the pivot table changes,
the chart still links to the same absolute cell address. I've made the
regular chart more dynamic by using dynamic Names that move appropriately
with the changing pivot table, or by using code that updates the chart
series based on the new configuration.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"DKS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would this "link" the chart to the pivot table, i.e. I can select pivot
> rows
> or columns to display and the chart changes automatically?
>
> Or would this technique simply use the data in a pivot table as regular
> data?
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You can't add data from outside the parent pivot table to a pivot chart.
>> It
>> is possible to add pivot data to a regular chart, if you use the Source
>> Data
>> dialog, Series tab to add the data.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "DKS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I would love to have a pivot based chart and superimpose another set of
>> > 'regular' series on a secondary axis.
>> >
>> > Is there a trick to get around doing this retaining the 'pivot'
>> > features?
>> >
>> > MTIA

DKS

      19th Apr 2008