ping computer returns wrong IP

Nick

      18th Aug 2004

I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
updated the information? I know my replication is working
and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
tried removing the computer from active directory and
adding it back but it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Nick

Scott Harding - MS MVP

      18th Aug 2004
It is either coming from an invalid entry in DNS, WINS or an lmhosts or a
hosts file.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

news:131801c48535$9a4d3ad0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
> computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
> address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
> updated the information? I know my replication is working
> and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
> information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
> tried removing the computer from active directory and
> adding it back but it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

William Stacey [MVP]

      18th Aug 2004
use dig or netdig (www.mvptool.com) or nslookup to see what server is
returning the reply. Then check that server.

--
William Stacey, MVP

news:131801c48535$9a4d3ad0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
> computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
> address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
> updated the information? I know my replication is working
> and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
> information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
> tried removing the computer from active directory and
> adding it back but it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Jeff Cochran

      18th Aug 2004
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:11:14 -0700, "Nick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
>computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
>address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
>updated the information? I know my replication is working
>and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
>information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
>tried removing the computer from active directory and
>adding it back but it doesn't work.

Have you checked the DNS to see what the IP is configured as? Hosts
file? WINS or LMHosts?

Jeff

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

      19th Aug 2004
M> When I try to ping the computer using the computer
M> name, it returns the old IP address. I changed it
M> a long time ago and it hasn't updated the information?

* _Where_ did you change the name->address information ?

* How do you know that "ping" is actually using the information that you
changed ? "ping", like other Windows applications, can use multiple
sources of information for mapping names to addresses. Did you check
that you were changing the right one ?

      19th Aug 2004
My domain controler is returning the wrong IP when I run
nslookup from it.

message
>news:131801c48535$9a4d3ad0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
>> computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
>> address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
>> updated the information? I know my replication is

working
>> and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
>> information. Is there any way to do this manually?

I've
>> tried removing the computer from active directory and
>> adding it back but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick
>>

>.

      19th Aug 2004
I changed the IP from the properties on the network card.

      19th Aug 2004

I believe DNS has the wrong IP address. I would like to
change it to the correct one, but I don't know how to.

      19th Aug 2004

Thanks to all replies. I kind of figured that it was. I
just don't know a)how to check DNS, WINS, and lmhosts? and
b) how do I correct it if it is wrong in there?

message
>news:131801c48535$9a4d3ad0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
>> computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
>> address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
>> updated the information? I know my replication is

working
>> and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
>> information. Is there any way to do this manually?

I've
>> tried removing the computer from active directory and
>> adding it back but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick
>>

>.

      19th Aug 2004
Is Lmhosts related to netbios, because I'm not using
netbios. And when I look at it there isn't anything listed
in this file.

message