PIMs/Outlook on XPE

David Jones vpac org>

      10th Mar 2009
We want to have some share PIM data on an XPE system and a normal deskop
XP/Vista machine.
PIM: Personal Information manager (eg Contacts, Email etc).
Shared: Means via some synch method.
This is not to run teh the XPE system as a quasi desktop. Its an in-vehicle
system so we want to be able to get some PIM infor and use in-car.

Understanding that you can't install Office, in particular Outlook on an XPE
system (XPE Licensing precludes it) what are some options to resolve this?

Thx
--
David Jones
Software Developer

Kevin Benstead

      10th Mar 2009
It depends what sort of email server you are using.

Will the XPe systems have network access?

Exchange server has a 'web client' interface that users can use to check
mail, calendar etc via internet explorer.

Otherwise look for low cost (or free) email clients that can communicate
with your server type when the XPe machines are connected to the network.
most ogf these will have some sort of syncing facility between what is on the
server and what is on the client machine.

"David Jones" wrote:

> We want to have some share PIM data on an XPE system and a normal deskop
> XP/Vista machine.
> PIM: Personal Information manager (eg Contacts, Email etc).
> Shared: Means via some synch method.
> This is not to run teh the XPE system as a quasi desktop. Its an in-vehicle
> system so we want to be able to get some PIM infor and use in-car.
>
> Understanding that you can't install Office, in particular Outlook on an XPE
> system (XPE Licensing precludes it) what are some options to resolve this?
>
> Thx
> --
> David Jones
> Software Developer
> (Embeddded Systems)
> Victorian Partnership of Advanced Computing
> Melbourne, Victoria Australia

David Jones vpac org>

      11th Mar 2009
We want an email/contacts/calendar system with an API so that we manipulate
the PIM data via a custom app., rather than an off-the-shelf app.

Been looking at Outlook Express. The API isn't as "up front" for .NET as
Outlook is.

Thx