PERSONAL.xlsb locked for editing??

Ed from AZ

      24th Jun 2008
I have my PERSONAL.xlsb in UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
\XLStart so it opens when I open a workbook. In XL2003, I could open
any number of workbooks and never had a problem. In 2007, though, If
I open a second workbook, I get the notice that "PERSONAL.xlsb is
locked for editing" by me.

How can I avoid this?

Ed

Dave Peterson

      25th Jun 2008
You could open the second and subsequent workbooks in the same instance of
excel.

--

Dave Peterson

Ed from AZ

      25th Jun 2008
Did something change in XL2007 as to how the program handles opening
multiple files? Or do I have a setting off somewhere? In XL2003, I
could simple double-click another Excel file and it would open with no
warnings. In XL2007, I have to drill down through the Open command to
avoid this?? That's a royal pain!!

Ed

On Jun 24, 4:35*pm, Dave Peterson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You could open the second and subsequent workbooks in the same instance of
> excel.
>
> Ed from AZ wrote:
>
> > I have my PERSONAL.xlsb in UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
> > \XLStart so it opens when I open a workbook. *In XL2003, I could open
> > any number of workbooks and never had a problem. *In 2007, though, If
> > I open a second workbook, I get the notice that "PERSONAL.xlsb is
> > locked for editing" by me.

> > How can I avoid this?

> > Ed

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

      25th Jun 2008
In xl2003 and below, I'd do one of these:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

====
In xl2007, that first one is:
Office button|excel options|Advanced category
Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) (Uncheck it)

--

Dave Peterson