Personal workbook

Doogie

      30th Jul 2008
I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

Jim Rech

      31st Jul 2008
Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long as
Excel is. That's a good thing too.

--
Jim
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Jul 31, 9:03*am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
wrote:
> How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? *Are you seeing Excel
> as a process in your task manager. * You should leave personal.xls openwhile
> you are using excel. *On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
> excel. *If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
> able to use your macros. *If you don't see excel in the task manager then
> personal.xls is not open. *Hope that helps.
>
> Jim Rech wrote:
> >Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as longas
> >Excel is. *That's a good thing too.

> >| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. *It
> >| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
> >| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
> >| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
> >| it's window hidden. *How do I get around that?

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
a way around that.

Jim Rech

      31st Jul 2008
I understand what you are referring to. This is a side-effect of having the
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" option set on under Excel Options,
Advanced, Display. If you can live without this you should turn it off. I
don't know of any other remedy.

--

On Jul 31, 12:33*pm, "Jim Rech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I understand what you are referring to. *This is a side-effect of having the
> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" option set on under Excel Options,
> Advanced, Display. *If you can live without this you should turn it off.. *I
> don't know of any other remedy.
>
> --
> Jim"Doogie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
> wrote:
>

> > How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? Are you seeing Excel
> > as a process in your task manager. You should leave personal.xls open
> > while
> > you are using excel. On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
> > excel. If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
> > able to use your macros. If you don't see excel in the task manager then
> > personal.xls is not open. Hope that helps.

> > Jim Rech wrote:
> > >Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long
> > >as
> > >Excel is. That's a good thing too.

> > --

> If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
> "personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. *All is great with the
> world. *When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
> open and I can see it. *(The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
> open. *If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
> get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
> "MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". *That, from a user
> standpoint, could be a little annoying. *I was wondering if there was
> a way around that.- Hide quoted text -

I will mention that option to the user to see what she thinks. Thank
you very much!

Doogie

      31st Jul 2008
On Jul 31, 12:42*pm, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
wrote:
> I am not sure I completely understand your senario below. *Are you hitting
> the large X in the far upper right corner and not the small one just below
> the big one? *If you hit the large X you should be thrown all the way out of
> Excel. *
>

> Doogie wrote:
> >On Jul 31, 9:03*am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
> >wrote:
> >> How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? *Are you seeing Excel
> >> as a process in your task manager. * You should leave personal.xls open while

> >[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
> >> --

> >If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
> >"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. *All is great with the
> >world. *When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
> >open and I can see it. *(The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
> >open. *If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
> >get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
> >"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". *That, from a user
> >standpoint, could be a little annoying. *I was wondering if there was
> >a way around that.

I am hitting the far x which should close out of Excel completely.
But it doesn't it leaves the personal.xlsm open.