Event ID: 2004
Date: 8/29/2004
Time: 10:03:20 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JEMADSEN
Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Data:
0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..

When I go into Command Prompt, I get:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Madsen>Net Statistics
Statistics are available for the following running services:

Server
Workstation

The command completed successfully.

So what does this error mean? And what is this Server service, I
shouldn't have a server running.

Jim

Microsoft

      30th Aug 2004
As per Microsoft: "The extensible counter list utility (EXCTRLST.EXE) is
used to obtain information about the extensible performance counter
dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) on a computer running Windows NT/Windows 2000.
This utility lists the applications, drivers, and services that are
registered to provide performance data through the performance registry. You
can use this utility for finding information and for troubleshooting"

To fix this error, I had previously used the EXCTRLST.EXE utility and
disabled the performance counters. This stopped the error message appearing
in the event viewer, but I still did not have a server service in Services
and I got an error message when clicking on shares in computer
Management.Not a big deal I suppose, but I wanted to find out what was
wrong. As I have a stand alone machine, I did not have File and Printer
Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed. So, I went to dial up properties
for my Dial up connection, Under Networking, installed the service File and
Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks Left the check box for this service
blank (as I don't want to use it) This immediately enabled the server
service and I have since re-enabled the performance counters without any
problems or error messages. A sharing tab now also appears under folder
properties.

www.helpline4it.com
The Best IT Community Portal!
www.helpline4it.com