Pendrive read-only - how to format?

ricardo.l

      10th Mar 2009
Yes, a pendrive (FAT32) shows in Disk Manager as Removable storage device -
read-only.
Others work fine, so it's something wrong with that drive.
How can I unlock it? It may be due to some virus, all files are readable,
but the unit is write-protected!...

What is it due to? (I have tried with linux live cd, same behavior)

Just want to wipe out everything...

Leonard Grey

      10th Mar 2009
Ask the manufacturer of the drive.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ricardo.l wrote:
> Yes, a pendrive (FAT32) shows in Disk Manager as Removable storage device -
> read-only.
> Others work fine, so it's something wrong with that drive.
> How can I unlock it? It may be due to some virus, all files are readable,
> but the unit is write-protected!...
>
> What is it due to? (I have tried with linux live cd, same behavior)
>
> Just want to wipe out everything...

M.I.5

      11th Mar 2009

"ricardo.l" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, a pendrive (FAT32) shows in Disk Manager as Removable storage
> device -
> read-only.
> Others work fine, so it's something wrong with that drive.
> How can I unlock it? It may be due to some virus, all files are readable,
> but the unit is write-protected!...
>
> What is it due to? (I have tried with linux live cd, same behavior)
>
> Just want to wipe out everything...

FLASH memory devices have a limited life. One of the many failure modes
causes the memory to become read only. Some of the cheaper pendrives
utilise reject memory chips.

ricardo.l

      11th Mar 2009
thank you, I didn't realize it could be an hw problem.
Bye