PCL translator for a CanonLBP-800

Murray

      18th Feb 2009
I have dredged thru the 'net for something that allows
me to run my PCL based accounting programme on a
Canon LBP800.
The Canon is ancient but hardly used and in great condition.
The poor ol' Lexmark with PCL capability on the other
hand is close approaching retirement (a bit like me)
If I can find a driver or software bridge between the programme
and the printer I will be OK for a couple of years more.

I'll bet this question has been asked many times before, but
I am unable to find anything with Google/Yahoo.

Please make allowance for my ignorance of CAPT - the PCL
code I wrote myself but don't want to go down that road
again just for a couple more years.
Any help appreciated
Murray

Warren Block

      18th Feb 2009
Murray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have dredged thru the 'net for something that allows
> me to run my PCL based accounting programme on a
> Canon LBP800.
> The Canon is ancient but hardly used and in great condition.

It's an ancient winprinter. Making it work is less practical than a $50
office store throwaway laser or a used LaserJet that handles PCL
natively.

Still, if you absolutely want to try it, you can use GhostPCL to
translate your PCL code into a bitmap, then use the appropriate driver
for your unspecified OS to send that to the Canon.

Bill B

      19th Feb 2009
"Warren Block" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Murray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have dredged thru the 'net for something that allows
>> me to run my PCL based accounting programme on a
>> Canon LBP800.
>> The Canon is ancient but hardly used and in great condition.

> It's an ancient winprinter. Making it work is less practical than a $50
> office store throwaway laser or a used LaserJet that handles PCL
> natively.
>
> Still, if you absolutely want to try it, you can use GhostPCL to
> translate your PCL code into a bitmap, then use the appropriate driver
> for your unspecified OS to send that to the Canon.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

We use about a dozen HP6L's and I needed one that was faster and asked this
group for a printer that is PCL code compatible. Someone suggested a HP4050,
which we bought on the internet and it worked great. Both the HP6L and
HP4050 are easily available for under $100, and both should be available for
at least a couple more years. Anything is better than trying to re-write PCL
code! -bill

Murray

      22nd Feb 2009
Thanks to you both for the replies.
It's not my ideal solution either, but I just
don't want to buy another B&W laser when I have
onother sitting there.
Ultimately I will shout myself a colour laser
and they are cheap enough, but they don't
'talk the talk'. :-) By then it won't matter.
BTW it's XP I'm using with a Lexmark E230 on this machine
and a Canon LBP800 networked in the other room.
Thanks again
Murray