PC Review

PC upgrade advice

27th Sep 2010
Hi, could someone please advise on upgrading my PC.
My present PC specs are: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1GB PC2100 RAM
2 x 120GB Hard Drives (IDE)
Pioneer DVD RW DVR-108 (IDE)
LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GH 22LP20 Lightscribe (IDE)
STD Floppy Drive
NVIDA GeForce FX 5900XT (Ultra 1100XT Golden Sample) (AGP or PCI socket)
SoundBlaster Live (PCI)
WinTV PVR 250 (for recording from VHS video) (PCI)
4 x USB Card (PCI)
Win XP Pro
New (unopened) Win Power 450W PSU.

I would like to upgrade motherboard, cpu and ram to utilize an AMD dual core or greater. My main PC uses are Photoshop, Autocad, Sonar Audio Recording. A faster machine would be of greater benefit. However, I want to re-use my existing hardware, with possibly the exception of the graphics card if I could get a motherboard with built-in graphics. I am not a gamer! As noted, all the hardware is IDE and PCI, and modern motherboards usually only cater for 1 IDE drive socket and 2 PCI card sockets. I start looking at motherboards and slowly get motherboard blindness and lose interest - probably due to my age (61). Can anyone please recommend a suitable motherboard and cpu for my requirements - I don't really want to go to very top of the range prices? Are adaptors available to connect SATA cables to IDE devices? If so, could I connect 2 IDE devices to one adaptor, or would I need 2 adaptors? Have I missed anything? Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you.

Rocket Scientist

28th Sep 2010
Hi Mike, welcome to the forums

It may be worth upgrading those hard drives if you are anywhere near needing more space - plus there will no doubt be some performance gain by doing so (unless they were fast 120GB drives). A 500GB/1TB drive doesn't cost too much nowawadays.

As you use Autocad and Photoshop, you could easily use 4GB RAM - so I'd make sure that you go for a 64-bit operating system (Windows 7 x64) if you can. If you've got a 32 bit OS and want to re-use it, you'd be limited to buying ~3GB.

Another thing that is worth checking out is the type of connection your monitor uses - just make sure it's something compatible with the onboard video card .

Do you have a budget to work to, just so that we can have a rough estimate of what sort of products to pick? (or would you just like ideas based on budget/balanced/high-end components?).

@120Hz

28th Sep 2010
Hi Mike,

Ian has noted some good points.

I would honestly be thinking if i was you to simply get a new tower, no offence but most of that hardware is quite old now. That 450w PSU isn't going to be much use either in my opinion.

Whats your budget?

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

sugar 'n spikes

28th Sep 2010
Aye, I'd think about mothballing the current machine, ignoring the 450W PSU and starting afresh.

A very capable AMD-based machine can be built (or purchased tailor-made) for a very reasonable budget.

Give a budget and we'll have something to work to.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

1st Oct 2010
Hi, thanks for the welcome and advice so far. Sorry haven't replied sooner as been away with work.
I'm trying to reuse as much hardware as possible to allow more funding for motherboard and cpu. I don't really need new HD's as the two 7200rpm drives in the PC are nowhere near full and I've also got 3 external HD's that are nowhere near full. And I don't really want to spend time transferring the contents of the HD's to new ones. I was hoping for a motherboard with built-in graphics as it would free up a socket, and as I'm not a gamer I don't really need a top range/speed card. I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor to a wide-screen so the connection to the motherboard/graphics card shouldn't be a problem. I don't necessarily need the fastest cpu available, I just want a faster performance than an AMD XP 2400+, and I thought that just a dual core might do the job. At my age it's difficult to get rid of hardware I'm used to and is still working. Sad, I know......By the way, there are 3 of us using Win 7 at work and it's not good at 64- bit with Photoshop CS4 - keeps crashing and stuff so we use 32-bit and it's fine. However, Autocad 2010 keeps crashing and losing work, so I reverted to using Autocad 2008 which does not seem to crash as often. We also have trouble opening card readers with Win 7 on our stand-alone PC's, but our network PC's with XP has no problem. We can't fiddle with the PC's ourselves as they are government owned.

sugar 'n spikes

1st Oct 2010
Still no budget then eh?

The reason CS4 keeps crashing using Win 7 64 Bit is probably because of dated hardware.

It runs fine for me on a four year old machine using Win 7 64 Bit, as does all other software and latest games.

Ok, let's assume you keep the case, hard drives and optical drives.

This means you need:

Motherboard with integrated graphics
Memory
CPU with stock cooler
Power supply (very important)
Possibly a new widescreen monitor.

Again, I politely request available budget.

And also monitor size.

By the way, if you change motherboard etc your old Windows installation is extremely unlikely to run on it due to different motherboard drivers so you will have to do a fresh installation of Win 7. The key word here is backup.

And less of the age thing please, I am less than two years younger than you and hopefully I don't have one foot in the grave yet

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

@120Hz

1st Oct 2010
FWIW: CS4 ran fine on my Win 7 64 bit machine before i upgraded to CS5.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Captain Crunchie, Retired

1st Oct 2010
we need a budget to assist further, or just as a laugh.

Quote:
I was hoping for a motherboard with built-in graphics as it would free up a socket
not so, motherboard with "built-in" graphics actually have less sockets, however, they all seem to give you a graphics socket anyway, so that one may build a slightly better system. So in your case, you'll have a socket wasted ... In my opinion, they are to be avoided.

Adobe! Potoshop!! 64bit!!! that's a good one that sorry, not laughing at you. Isn't CS5 Adobe's 64bit attempt??

sincere apologies to you young sir, I'll try to stick to the subject in hand.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

sugar 'n spikes

1st Oct 2010
Ah yes, the integrated graphics.

Generally to be avoided I agree but they do have their place and I use an Asus M4N78-VM motherboard with integrated Nvidia 8200 graphics in my media machine for watching films and it's perfectly acceptable.

sugar 'n spikes

1st Oct 2010
Here's a suggestion only.

4Gb of memory, good for CS4. Get just 2Gb and save around 35 quid.

Integrated graphics.

Solid dependable PSU.

I have no idea what the current case is like.

Attached Thumbnails
PC upgrade advice-cheapie.jpg  

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: