PC Review

The PC Review Crew II

29th Jun 2011
This may seem a silly question but the PC Review Crew II seems to have 86 members but looking at the daily result sheets there only seem to be on average 11 active members.
I am assuming that those members who are in grey are members who are no longer active and some of those have never actually accrued any points so never have crunched. It seems such a pity we have so many members but so few participating. I wonder what others of the group feel and how we can encourage existing non participating members to resume crunching and how we can encourage new members to sign up and participate.
I personally feel that by being a member and allowing ones CPU to be a benefit to others in help solving some of the big medical issues primarily in the Third World is a privilege and is my bit in giving back to society because I am lucky to have a PC which will help others who are not as lucky as me to cure some of the worlds ills.

29th Jun 2011
I did it for quite a while mate. Problem was was cost of leaving 1, 2 or even three machines running. It was costing an awful lot more than normal so decided to stop

sugar 'n spikes

29th Jun 2011
I crunched for nine years with three to four machines and mostly 24/7.

I consider that a fair contribution.

For various reasons, one of which was the rising cost of electricity, I retired from crunching. So if I'm listed that's why I'm greyed out.

Just by way of an explanation

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

4x4 Cruncher

29th Jun 2011
Ady Webb & Mucksifter now retired & others got me crunching.
I dont do it 24/7 but do try to do as much as i can.

Those who are "in the grey" are still in my mind those who have gone the extra mile to help others and they may be retired but still have my respect for doing crunching in the first place.

I'm off my soap box now!

Last edited by feckit; 29th Jun 2011 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: updating info that i left out!

Yorkshire Cruncher

29th Jun 2011
I can see what you're getting at Bootneck but, as stated above, many of the regulars who do not crunch now did so for long periods in the past and made a great contribution.

The list of people on PCR Crew II is just like the list of PCR members in one sense. PCR has about 83,000 members according to the list but we all know that the vast majority of them, after signing up, are never heard of again and the number of active members is miniscule. Click on the names of Today's Birthdays and notice when they last even looked into PCR.

All forums are the same, thousands of members and a handful of active ones. Most members look in only when they have a problem and never again.

So, the active members who crunch will just keep going and hope that we get a few newbies joining in now and again. In the time I've been crunching there has been little change (perhaps a few more in my early days), some drop out and some join in and the numbers remain about the same.

Don't think there is anything specifically that we can do.

System Spec

Colossus 1943 Version 1.0

4x4 Cruncher

29th Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivrip View Post
Don't think there is anything specifically that we can do.
Ian could shower us with gifts & freebies!

Or i could do one of my crunching adverts that people still think are true! Ian had to sought of tell me off because some really did think we were offering freebies

Rocket Scientist

29th Jun 2011
It's always going to be a challenge to get people crunching, bootneck - but I understand why you are keen to try and draw attention to the cause . Many people crunched for a while and contributed lots to the cause (it's going to take years to knock Ady from the top )

FWIW - I don't crunch 24/7, only when my PC is on and would otherwise be showing a screensaver.

29th Jun 2011
Thanks guy's for the response and yes I understand many people have done a lot of crunching and also the cost, I am having to look at only crunch only when my PC (and not 24/7 as I have been doing) is on as I have had a bit of a shock when my electric bill came in. And yes it seems to mainly the same contributors to the site conversations unless someone has a problem then they post and you never see them again until they have another problem, or only see them once when they sign up.

Yes Ian I think that I will be in another place before Andy gets knocked off the top, so I wont see that day

Member Extraordinaire

30th Jun 2011
I have been crunching for many years on various projects, and I have always crunched only when my machine would have been on screensaver after I had made a cuppa or something or left the machine whilst doing something else..

I never did understand why everybody started leaving the nest so to speak as all they had to do was run it as a screensaver only...I'm sure WCG and others out there that provide the crunching never meant for anyone to have umpteen machines running 24/7 365
which is what a majority of people were doing here, leaving just your standard PC running the client in the background is surprisingly effective and you are doing no more harm to your electric bill than if it wasn't running at all.

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

Crunchie Cat

30th Jun 2011
Much kudos to the retired crunchers for their outstanding generosity and contributions to the crunchy-cause.

And, hear-hear to Crazylegs' eloquence, very well put Mr Legs.

It would be such a pity though, if other, would-be volunteers, chose not to crunch, just because they might assume that only 24/7 crunching counts. 24/7 Crunching is not necessary, every crunched unit helps, regardless of whether someone crunches for 2 hours per day, or 24! It all adds up to make a huge difference to humanity, imho.

It's good to be part of a team, plus, the daily stats thread is a nice way to keep in touch (a bit like having a shout-box in a way ) There are congrats when someone achieves a milestone, or gradually climbs the ladder, but, chart positions are not the most important thing. Taking part is. Letting BOINC run in the background, whilst doing your normal thing, is what counts; most of us probably forget that it's even there. It can just do its thing whilst you are social-networking, Youtubing, or doing whatever you like to do.... simplez.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: