PC Restarting after being Shutdown

=?Utf-8?B?VHJpbnN5cw==?=

      15th May 2006
We have a new IBM PC, a ThinkCentre A51 that keeps restarting after it has
been shutdown. There are no errors during the software shutdown process.

It is running Windows XP Pro and is a stand alone PC, that is not on a
network. We have tried all the obvious power setting changes to try to stop
it restarting, but nothing has worked. Sometimes it will restart after a
couple of minutes and other times it may take an hour, or so before it starts.

It is not running the Roxio CD software that in on one forum as causing an
issue and we have done a number of virus scans with different AV software,
but found nothing. We want to stop the PC from rebooting at random intervals
and only start when the power button is pushed. Please help, or tell us that
our PC is possessed. Thanks.

Malke

      15th May 2006
Trinsys wrote:

> We have a new IBM PC, a ThinkCentre A51 that keeps restarting after it
> has
> been shutdown. There are no errors during the software shutdown
> process.
>
> It is running Windows XP Pro and is a stand alone PC, that is not on a
> network. We have tried all the obvious power setting changes to try
> to stop
> it restarting, but nothing has worked. Sometimes it will restart
> after a couple of minutes and other times it may take an hour, or so
> before it starts.
>
> It is not running the Roxio CD software that in on one forum as
> causing an issue and we have done a number of virus scans with
> different AV software,
> but found nothing. We want to stop the PC from rebooting at random
> intervals
> and only start when the power button is pushed. Please help, or tell
> us that
> our PC is possessed. Thanks.

You need to go into the BIOS and disable any Wake On LAN settings or the
like. Refer to your computer's documentation for how to get into the
BIOS. This is not a Windows issue.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm - Accessing the BIOS

Malke
--