PC WILL NOT Shut Down...???

mark4man

      27th Apr 2010
hello again...

well...here's one I've never experienced before...[&...I'm not sure if it's
an OS problem or a hdwe. problem...but I'm starting w/ the OS first, I
suppose]:

My computer (a Compaq SR5610F) will not shut off...when I go to Start > Shut
Down > Shut Down Windows (running XP Pro). It simply reboots & starts up
again...almost like I've selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shut Down'.

it (the PC) seems to be running OK, save some weirdness, but the first thing
I did was to run a full scan w/ AVG Anti-Virus (which also has Anti-RootKit
& Anti-Spyware functionality...which is largely ineffective...but there).
It came up w/ about 100 viruses; & I killed them all.

Then...I started STOPZilla & ran a full scan...(STOPZilla is much more
effective in the above mentioned departments...but I never let it start
automatically 'cause it takes like 3 minutes to load).

So...STOPZilla came up w/ one spyware app...in my Registry...known as
'Nebular-E'. I killed that, then completely cleaned my computer again using
MS 'Disc Cleanup', 'CCleaner' & 'Registry Mechanic'. I also killed
everything I could from my browser (IE7)...history...temps...cookies, etc.,
etc.

Then I attempted a shut down again...& the machine again rebooted; &
restarted.

(to shut down, overnight,...I depressed the On/Off Switch on the
Compaq...this morning...when I hit the same button...everything started
normally...no overt other problems).

didn't know where to turn...so I came here.

anybody ever experience this before...a windows-based computer that will not
turn off...???

would sure appreciate some help...thanks very much,

mark4man
XP Pro v 2002; SP3

Bob I

      27th Apr 2010
Turn off/UNcheck Automatically Restart in System Properties, Advanced,
Startup and Recovery, Settings.

mark4man wrote:

> hello again...
>
> well...here's one I've never experienced before...[&...I'm not sure if
> it's an OS problem or a hdwe. problem...but I'm starting w/ the OS
> first, I suppose]:
>
> My computer (a Compaq SR5610F) will not shut off...when I go to Start >
> Shut Down > Shut Down Windows (running XP Pro). It simply reboots &
> starts up again...almost like I've selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shut
> Down'.
>
> it (the PC) seems to be running OK, save some weirdness, but the first
> thing I did was to run a full scan w/ AVG Anti-Virus (which also has
> Anti-RootKit & Anti-Spyware functionality...which is largely
> ineffective...but there). It came up w/ about 100 viruses; & I killed
> them all.
>
> Then...I started STOPZilla & ran a full scan...(STOPZilla is much more
> effective in the above mentioned departments...but I never let it start
> automatically 'cause it takes like 3 minutes to load).
>
> So...STOPZilla came up w/ one spyware app...in my Registry...known as
> 'Nebular-E'. I killed that, then completely cleaned my computer again
> using MS 'Disc Cleanup', 'CCleaner' & 'Registry Mechanic'. I also
> killed everything I could from my browser
> (IE7)...history...temps...cookies, etc., etc.
>
> Then I attempted a shut down again...& the machine again rebooted; &
> restarted.
>
> (to shut down, overnight,...I depressed the On/Off Switch on the
> Compaq...this morning...when I hit the same button...everything started
> normally...no overt other problems).
>
> didn't know where to turn...so I came here.
>
> anybody ever experience this before...a windows-based computer that will
> not turn off...???
>
> would sure appreciate some help...thanks very much,
>

> mark4man
> XP Pro v 2002; SP3

Terry R.

      27th Apr 2010

On 4/27/2010 7:02 AM On a whim, mark4man pounded out on the keyboard

> hello again...
>
> well...here's one I've never experienced before...[&...I'm not sure if it's
> an OS problem or a hdwe. problem...but I'm starting w/ the OS first, I
> suppose]:
>
> My computer (a Compaq SR5610F) will not shut off...when I go to Start> Shut
> Down> Shut Down Windows (running XP Pro). It simply reboots& starts up
> again...almost like I've selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shut Down'.
>
> it (the PC) seems to be running OK, save some weirdness, but the first thing
> I did was to run a full scan w/ AVG Anti-Virus (which also has Anti-RootKit
> & Anti-Spyware functionality...which is largely ineffective...but there).
> It came up w/ about 100 viruses;& I killed them all.
>
> Then...I started STOPZilla& ran a full scan...(STOPZilla is much more
> effective in the above mentioned departments...but I never let it start
> automatically 'cause it takes like 3 minutes to load).
>
> So...STOPZilla came up w/ one spyware app...in my Registry...known as
> 'Nebular-E'. I killed that, then completely cleaned my computer again using
> MS 'Disc Cleanup', 'CCleaner'& 'Registry Mechanic'. I also killed
> everything I could from my browser (IE7)...history...temps...cookies, etc.,
> etc.
>
> Then I attempted a shut down again...& the machine again rebooted;&
> restarted.
>
> (to shut down, overnight,...I depressed the On/Off Switch on the
> Compaq...this morning...when I hit the same button...everything started
> normally...no overt other problems).
>
> didn't know where to turn...so I came here.
>
> anybody ever experience this before...a windows-based computer that will not
> turn off...???
>
> would sure appreciate some help...thanks very much,
>

> mark4man
> XP Pro v 2002; SP3

A lot of times it is a driver that is crashing on shutdown rather than
exiting correctly. This causes Windows to restart instead.

You probably have a driver(s) that may have been corrupted by the
malware. I would start by downloading the most current video display
driver and installing it, followed by other drivers.

Report back,

Terry R.

Unknown

      27th Apr 2010
If you go to control panel--system--and remove check from automatic restart
in advanced settings it
will not restart. This way you can trap the error.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...