PC boot disconnects shared internet router

PaulV

      23rd Sep 2009
Hello.

We have a network that incorporates a Micronet ADSL2 4 port router for
internet access and 23 PCs running a mixture of XP Pro, XP Home, 2000 and
Win98. Mostly the network is used for internal (intranet) use however 6
users often use the internet.

A problem has recently reared its ugly head for which I have been unable to
find a solution.

I believe it’s the XP Pro machines that cause this but I cannot be sure
that’s it’s exclusive to them, while booting the internet is disconnected for
a couple of minutes although the intranet is unaffected. Once the PC has
booted connection is restored.

It appears that the booting PC is blocking all traffic to/from the router
during boot which can lead to serious problems for the other internet users
should a financial transaction be taking place at the time.

This problem has only appeared in the last few weeks and it is duplicated at
home where the same problem has recently cropped up. My son and I share a
Dynamode ADSL 4 port router directly connected to 2 PCs and a print server.

My thinking is that a recent security update could be the cause of this
behaviour however I am currently unable to find a solution. Has anyone else
experienced similar problems or know of a solution?

Thanks in advance

PaulV

1PW

      23rd Sep 2009
PaulV wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We have a network that incorporates a Micronet ADSL2 4 port router for
> internet access and 23 PCs running a mixture of XP Pro, XP Home, 2000 and
> Win98. Mostly the network is used for internal (intranet) use however 6
> users often use the internet.
>
> A problem has recently reared its ugly head for which I have been unable to
> find a solution.
>
> I believe it’s the XP Pro machines that cause this but I cannot be sure
> that’s it’s exclusive to them, while booting the internet is disconnected for
> a couple of minutes although the intranet is unaffected. Once the PC has
> booted connection is restored.
>
> It appears that the booting PC is blocking all traffic to/from the router
> during boot which can lead to serious problems for the other internet users
> should a financial transaction be taking place at the time.
>
> This problem has only appeared in the last few weeks and it is duplicated at
> home where the same problem has recently cropped up. My son and I share a
> Dynamode ADSL 4 port router directly connected to 2 PCs and a print server.
>
> My thinking is that a recent security update could be the cause of this
> behaviour however I am currently unable to find a solution. Has anyone else
> experienced similar problems or know of a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> PaulV

*multiposted*

Hello Paul:

Unless you suspect network malware or spyware is the root of the
trouble, I would strongly suggest you may have posted to a group that
sees very little life these days.

I have reposted your experience to:

"microsoft.public.windowsxp.general"

Additional helpful information would be what "Service Pack" level the
XP Pro systems are at.

Best wishes,

--
1PW

PaulV

      5th Oct 2009
All our PCs are installed with real-time spyware/malware checkers and are
scanned regularly just in case anything has slipped through. The XP machines
are on SP2. We did begin installing SP3 but after installing on 3 machines
we began discovering some 'features' that we could not live with so it was
uninstalled from those machines.

Thanks

Paul

Ǝиçεl

      5th Oct 2009
Hi Paul,

FYI

After 12 April 2010, XP SP2 your computer will NOT be offered ANY critical
security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until & unless
you get XP SP3 installed.
-=-

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕