Pathetic Vista download performance

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

      27th Sep 2006
I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the same file
with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at 50KB/s and Vista at
8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. I suspect its because of all
the extra security. It makes Vista unuseable for me so I'll have to
investigate further. Apart from that, Vista seems fine. Colin

Robert Moir

      27th Sep 2006
Spirefm wrote:
> I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the
> same file with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at
> 50KB/s and Vista at 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result.
> I suspect its because of all the extra security. It makes Vista
> unuseable for me so I'll have to investigate further. Apart from
> that, Vista seems fine. Colin

I really don't think the extra security will affect download performance
like that, but I do agree that network performance does seem slower than in
XP. If it were a security issue, I would expect it to take longer to start
an operation (due to negociation of various security layers, etc) but then
to perform fine once the operation had commenced.

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

      27th Sep 2006
Yes. I turned off everythink I could think off, including AV but it is still
useless. I'm hoping that someone has a better Vista knowledge than I,
otherwise Vista is no good to me at all. I've gone back to XP for the time
being.

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> Spirefm wrote:
> > I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the
> > same file with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at
> > 50KB/s and Vista at 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result.
> > I suspect its because of all the extra security. It makes Vista
> > unuseable for me so I'll have to investigate further. Apart from
> > that, Vista seems fine. Colin

> I really don't think the extra security will affect download performance
> like that, but I do agree that network performance does seem slower than in
> XP. If it were a security issue, I would expect it to take longer to start
> an operation (due to negociation of various security layers, etc) but then
> to perform fine once the operation had commenced.

Conor

      27th Sep 2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Spirefm says...
> I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the same file
> with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at 50KB/s and Vistaat
> 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. I suspect its because ofall
> the extra security. It makes Vista unuseable for me so I'll have to
> investigate further. Apart from that, Vista seems fine. Colin

Makes zero difference to me.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, 2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

Conor

      27th Sep 2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Spirefm says...
> Yes. I turned off everythink I could think off, including AV but it is still
> useless. I'm hoping that someone has a better Vista knowledge than I,
> otherwise Vista is no good to me at all. I've gone back to XP for the time
> being.

Turn off IPv6.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, 2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

      27th Sep 2006
No luck with turning off IPv6 either, but thanks for trying. Colin

"Conor" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Spirefm says...
> > Yes. I turned off everythink I could think off, including AV but it is still
> > useless. I'm hoping that someone has a better Vista knowledge than I,
> > otherwise Vista is no good to me at all. I've gone back to XP for the time
> > being.
> >

> Turn off IPv6.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.
>
> Earn commission on online purchases, £2.50 just for signing up:
> http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

Bryan Handfield

      28th Sep 2006
http://www.dslreports.com download Dr.TCP.. run their tweak test... enter in
the suggested values and restart networking.

Windows does *not* come optimized for broadband connections out of the
box... this step must be taken to squeeze as much speed out of your
connection as possible... for me, the difference was noticeable!!

"Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the same
>file
> with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at 50KB/s and Vista
> at
> 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. I suspect its because of
> all
> the extra security. It makes Vista unuseable for me so I'll have to
> investigate further. Apart from that, Vista seems fine. Colin

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

      28th Sep 2006
The tweak test wouldn't run and, without it Dr TCp is no good. HOWEVER I've
cleared the slow downloads (and 'LowID in Emule P2P) by disabling 'Protected
Mode' in Internet Explorer/ security settings. Speeds now match XP byte for
byte.
Thanks anyway! Colin

"Bryan Handfield" wrote:

> http://www.dslreports.com download Dr.TCP.. run their tweak test... enter in
> the suggested values and restart networking.
>
> Windows does *not* come optimized for broadband connections out of the
> box... this step must be taken to squeeze as much speed out of your
> connection as possible... for me, the difference was noticeable!!
>
> "Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the same
> >file
> > with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at 50KB/s and Vista
> > at
> > 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. I suspect its because of
> > all
> > the extra security. It makes Vista unuseable for me so I'll have to
> > investigate further. Apart from that, Vista seems fine. Colin

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEQ=?=

      30th Sep 2006

"Bryan Handfield" wrote:

> http://www.dslreports.com download Dr.TCP.. run their tweak test... enter in
> the suggested values and restart networking.
>
> Windows does *not* come optimized for broadband connections out of the
> box...

Windows Vista TCP/IP parameters are dynamically adjusted i.e you don't need
Dr. TCP or other similar utilities

=?Utf-8?B?R2VuZSBGaXR6?=

      5th Oct 2006
That's strange. I seem to have better download speeds with Vista. I am
clocing downloads up to 100 and 150k through my Cable internet. My downloads
acre cruising.