PATH values changed/disapear when logging into a 2003 domain

david carvalho

      3rd Mar 2009
Hi !
I have classroom with windows XP installed, connected to a windows 2003
server domain. Users mostly use a local account on those machines to log in.
I have lots of installed software there, so the path is quite large.
when users log in with the domain account, the PATH only shows information
about 2 softwares, causing some others to fail (like eclipse, because java is
not in path). But if they log in locally, everythings works fine and PATH is
complete.
I have no policy restrictions in that domain. It's used mainly as a trust
relationship domain.
Any ideas please ?
thanks and regards

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      8th Mar 2009
david carvalho <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi !
> I have classroom with windows XP installed, connected to a windows
> 2003 server domain. Users mostly use a local account on those
> machines to log in. I have lots of installed software there, so the
> path is quite large.
> when users log in with the domain account, the PATH only shows
> information about 2 softwares, causing some others to fail (like
> eclipse, because java is not in path). But if they log in locally,
> everythings works fine and PATH is complete.
> I have no policy restrictions in that domain. It's used mainly as a
> trust relationship domain.
> Any ideas please ?
> thanks and regards

Hi - see my reply to your identical post elsewhere - please don't multipost!
You may have trouble
accessing these groups properly because you're using the icky web interface.
For this and for many other reasons, I suggest you try using a news client,
such as Forte Agent, Thunderbird, or even Outlook Express, instead. It's a
lot easier to do nearly everything that way. You can mark messages to be
watched, filter the views so you can see replies to your posts easily, and
search.

The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
subscribe to as many groups as you like; no authentication is required.

The following is from a post by MVP Malke ...

Here's information on Usenet and using a newsreader:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlo...ssnewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...wto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Some newsreaders for Windows
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - for Forte
http://www.mozilla.org (Thunderbird does newsgroups)
http://gravity.tbates.org/

-------------------------------------

david carvalho

      9th Mar 2009
Ok, thanks.
Anyway I solved it. Remote "reg add
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment" and the set path.
Why dis happened is still a mistery.
thanks

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> david carvalho <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi !
> > I have classroom with windows XP installed, connected to a windows
> > 2003 server domain. Users mostly use a local account on those
> > machines to log in. I have lots of installed software there, so the
> > path is quite large.
> > when users log in with the domain account, the PATH only shows
> > information about 2 softwares, causing some others to fail (like
> > eclipse, because java is not in path). But if they log in locally,
> > everythings works fine and PATH is complete.
> > I have no policy restrictions in that domain. It's used mainly as a
> > trust relationship domain.
> > Any ideas please ?
> > thanks and regards

> Hi - see my reply to your identical post elsewhere - please don't multipost!
> You may have trouble
> accessing these groups properly because you're using the icky web interface.
> For this and for many other reasons, I suggest you try using a news client,
> such as Forte Agent, Thunderbird, or even Outlook Express, instead. It's a
> lot easier to do nearly everything that way. You can mark messages to be
> watched, filter the views so you can see replies to your posts easily, and
> search.
>
> The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
> subscribe to as many groups as you like; no authentication is required.
>
> The following is from a post by MVP Malke ...

> Here's information on Usenet and using a newsreader:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
> explanation of newsgroups
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlo...ssnewreader.htm
> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...wto/default.asp
> - Set Up Newsreader
>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
> working properly
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
> crossposting
>
> Some newsreaders for Windows
> http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - for Forte
> http://www.mozilla.org (Thunderbird does newsgroups)
> http://gravity.tbates.org/
>
> -------------------------------------

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      9th Mar 2009
david carvalho <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok, thanks.
> Anyway I solved it. Remote "reg add
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Environment" and the set path.
> Why dis happened is still a mistery.
> thanks

The real answer is to not use local accounts when you've got a domain :-)