Partitioning Hard Drive

Gene L.

      3rd Nov 2009
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
Thanks for any help on this issue.
Gene L.

LVTravel

      3rd Nov 2009

"Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable
to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow
should I wish to do this?
Thanks for any help on this issue.
Gene L.

Partitioning of a hard drive is advisable if it meets your current and/or
future needs. Some do it when they have one hard drive in order to keep
data files separate from operating system (OS) and the installed programs.
Some do it to separate the OS and the installed programs from each other in
the mistaken theory that if they have to reinstall the OS they won't have to
install the programs again. Some do it to keep different data types
separated (videos, pictures, documents, etc.)

Now as to how, Google is your friend. Search for partitioning of a hard
drive and include your OS in the search field as different OSs have
different methods of creating a partition on a new hard drive.

Also, for future reference, please post only in text, not HTML format. Many
of the newsgroups do not like, and won't properly display as HTML (even
though this one does.)

Dave

      3rd Nov 2009
when you want to boot with another operating system,
when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
etc.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html

--
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable
to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow
should I wish to do this?
Thanks for any help on this issue.
Gene L.

Gene L.

      3rd Nov 2009
Dave:
Sorry to persist but why would one wish to keep data separate from the
system files? I really appreciate your time in preparing this reply. Am I
naive in this situation?
Thanks.
Gene

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> when you want to boot with another operating system,
> when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
> etc.
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html
>

> --
> Windows 7 Ultimate
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it
> advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific
> instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
> Thanks for any help on this issue.
> Gene L.

Gene L.

      3rd Nov 2009
Thank you for your detailed answer. I am afraid that I have much to learn.
Your reply has given me a good place to start. Regards,
Gene L
"LVTravel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it
> advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific
> instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
> Thanks for any help on this issue.
> Gene L.
>
> Partitioning of a hard drive is advisable if it meets your current and/or
> future needs. Some do it when they have one hard drive in order to keep
> data files separate from operating system (OS) and the installed programs.
> Some do it to separate the OS and the installed programs from each other
> in the mistaken theory that if they have to reinstall the OS they won't
> have to install the programs again. Some do it to keep different data
> types separated (videos, pictures, documents, etc.)
>
> Now as to how, Google is your friend. Search for partitioning of a hard
> drive and include your OS in the search field as different OSs have
> different methods of creating a partition on a new hard drive.
>
> Also, for future reference, please post only in text, not HTML format.
> Many of the newsgroups do not like, and won't properly display as HTML
> (even though this one does.)

Richard Urban

      3rd Nov 2009
If you keep your data on a separate partition you can, with the right type
of software, create an image of the system partition only - and then restore
the system partition in case of problems - without losing your data.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave:
> Sorry to persist but why would one wish to keep data separate from the
> system files? I really appreciate your time in preparing this reply. Am I
> naive in this situation?
> Thanks.
> Gene
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> when you want to boot with another operating system,
>> when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
>> etc.
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 Ultimate
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> "Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it
>> advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific
>> instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
>> Thanks for any help on this issue.
>> Gene L.

DL

      3rd Nov 2009

Data on a seperate partition, in the past, sometimes made it easier /
simpler to backup only the data - not realy relevent now

"Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave:
> Sorry to persist but why would one wish to keep data separate from the
> system files? I really appreciate your time in preparing this reply. Am I
> naive in this situation?
> Thanks.
> Gene
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> when you want to boot with another operating system,
>> when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
>> etc.
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 Ultimate
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> "Gene L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it
>> advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific
>> instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
>> Thanks for any help on this issue.
>> Gene L.

Gene L.

      3rd Nov 2009
I thank each one of you for taking the time to help me. I think I see the
need now and really appreciate your expertise. Regards.
Gene L.
news:uL$(E-Mail Removed)...