Pareto diagram with 2 X-axis

H.G. Lamy

      3rd Feb 2010
Hello,

for days I'm trying to make a Pareto chart to show the relative importance
of 77 products.
The best selling item makes already 15% of sales, the next best alone 12%
(both together consequently 27%), etc. etc.

The so-sorted 77 product names on the X-axis (low horizontal axis) are a
lot, and difficult to read.
To ease up the chart's interpretation, I intend to additionally show a scale
of 0% to 100% on the second X-axis (top horizontal axis).

This scale should simply represent the share of the product count (which is
1/77 = 1,3% per item), in steps of 5% or 10% perhaps.

Is this feasable, and if so, how ?

Thank you in advance

Shane Devenshire

      5th Feb 2010
Hi,

Have you used the histogram tool? In 2003 and earlier you choose Tools,
Add-ins, Analysis ToolPak. Then you choose Tools, Data Analysis, Histogram,
fill in the dialog box as appropriate, checking Pareto (sorted histogram).

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"H.G. Lamy" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for days I'm trying to make a Pareto chart to show the relative importance
> of 77 products.
> The best selling item makes already 15% of sales, the next best alone 12%
> (both together consequently 27%), etc. etc.
>
> The so-sorted 77 product names on the X-axis (low horizontal axis) are a
> lot, and difficult to read.
> To ease up the chart's interpretation, I intend to additionally show a scale
> of 0% to 100% on the second X-axis (top horizontal axis).
>
> This scale should simply represent the share of the product count (which is
> 1/77 = 1,3% per item), in steps of 5% or 10% perhaps.
>
> Is this feasable, and if so, how ?
>
> Thank you in advance
>

> .

H.G. Lamy

      9th Feb 2010
Shane,

thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion, but haven't done so
far.
In the meantime, Jon Peltier in his PTS Blog also happened to offer several
possibilities the classical way.

Regards,

hgl
"Shane Devenshire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...