Pagefile.sys on two hard Drives??

Mark McWilliams

      21st Jan 2004
I was running out of hard drive space on my C drive so I used the
instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307886 to move the
pagefile.sys to another hard drive. The problem now is that I have a
pagefile.sys on both hard drives and when I try to delete the pagefile.sys
in C an error message says: "Cannot delete pagefile: It is being used by
another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file
and try again." I made sure that No Paging File is set for the C drive.
How do I get rid of the pagefile.sys on the C drive? It's taking up almost
a gig of hard drive space.

Thanks,

Mark

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      21st Jan 2004
"If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small
amount on C: - an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum
of 50 is suitable - so it can be used in emergency. Without
this, the system is inclined to ignore the settings and either
have no page file at all (and complain) or make a very large
one indeed on C:"

Ref: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Alex Nichol]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Mark McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| I was running out of hard drive space on my C drive so I used the
| instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307886 to move the
| pagefile.sys to another hard drive. The problem now is that I have a
| pagefile.sys on both hard drives and when I try to delete the pagefile.sys
| in C an error message says: "Cannot delete pagefile: It is being used by
| another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file
| and try again." I made sure that No Paging File is set for the C drive.
| How do I get rid of the pagefile.sys on the C drive? It's taking up almost
| a gig of hard drive space.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Mark

Bob Harris

      22nd Jan 2004
Never, never try to delete special files like pagefile.sys by a simple
windows explorer file delete command. As you have seen, it will not work.
Instead, use the MyComputer, properties, advanced settings, performance,
advanced, virtual memory. Then, set the desired file size on C:\ to a small
number, or even zero. Close each windows you opened with "apply" or "ok" as
appropriate. Then, reboot. During the reboot the new pagefile size should
take effect.

"Mark McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was running out of hard drive space on my C drive so I used the
> instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307886 to move the
> pagefile.sys to another hard drive. The problem now is that I have a
> pagefile.sys on both hard drives and when I try to delete the pagefile.sys
> in C an error message says: "Cannot delete pagefile: It is being used by
> another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file
> and try again." I made sure that No Paging File is set for the C drive.
> How do I get rid of the pagefile.sys on the C drive? It's taking up

almost
> a gig of hard drive space.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mark McWilliams

      22nd Jan 2004
Bob and Carey,

I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my question.
I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive to no
paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced settings,
performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two pagefile.sys files.
One on my C drive and the other on the F drive. I'm simply trying to delete
the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up about a gig of hard drive space.
Please let me know how I can do this.

Thanks,

Mark

"Bob Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Never, never try to delete special files like pagefile.sys by a simple
> windows explorer file delete command. As you have seen, it will not work.
> Instead, use the MyComputer, properties, advanced settings, performance,
> advanced, virtual memory. Then, set the desired file size on C:\ to a

small
> number, or even zero. Close each windows you opened with "apply" or "ok"

as
> appropriate. Then, reboot. During the reboot the new pagefile size

should
> take effect.
>
> "Mark McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was running out of hard drive space on my C drive so I used the
> > instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307886 to move the
> > pagefile.sys to another hard drive. The problem now is that I have a
> > pagefile.sys on both hard drives and when I try to delete the

pagefile.sys
> > in C an error message says: "Cannot delete pagefile: It is being used by
> > another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the

file
> > and try again." I made sure that No Paging File is set for the C drive.
> > How do I get rid of the pagefile.sys on the C drive? It's taking up

> almost
> > a gig of hard drive space.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark

Tegger®

      22nd Jan 2004
"Mark McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> spake unto the masses in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Bob and Carey,
>
> I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my
> question.
> I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive
> to no paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced
> settings, performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two
> pagefile.sys files. One on my C drive and the other on the F drive.
> I'm simply trying to delete the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up
> about a gig of hard drive space. Please let me know how I can do this.

When you make your changes to Virtual Memeory, you must click the "Set"
button before clicking "OK". Are you doing this for each change you make
(including "No Page File")?

--
TeGGeR®

Mark McWilliams

      22nd Jan 2004

"Tegger®" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Mark McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> spake unto the masses in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Bob and Carey,
> >
> > I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my
> > question.
> > I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive
> > to no paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced
> > settings, performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two
> > pagefile.sys files. One on my C drive and the other on the F drive.
> > I'm simply trying to delete the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up
> > about a gig of hard drive space. Please let me know how I can do this.

> When you make your changes to Virtual Memeory, you must click the "Set"
> button before clicking "OK". Are you doing this for each change you make
> (including "No Page File")?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®

Tegger,

I had hit the Set and I did it again to make sure and it didn't say
anything about rebooting my PC. I went ahead and rebooted it anyway and I'm
still not able to delete the pagefile.sys from my C drive. I started doing
some experimenting. I was able to delete the pagefile.sys from my F
drive????? I then went back into my Virtual memory settings and clicked Set
for the settings on my C and F drive and it asked me to reboot. After the
boot I still don't have a pagefile.sys on my F drive. What is going on with
my computer?

Mark