Outlook XP (2002) startup error: "...requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater."

cgladish@gmail.com

      10th Dec 2004
On a system running WinXP Pro w/ SP2 and Office XP. Attempts to open
Outlook result in the error message:

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook
Express 4.01 or greater. You can install Outlook Express by running
IE5Setup.exe from the IE5 folder located on your CD or through Windows
Update website."

Outlook Express version 6 is installed and runs without error, though
it is not used. The version of Outlook installed is Outlook XP.

I have viewed and tried to follow the advice in several Microsoft
support articles, to no avail, including, but not limited to:

.... amongst others.

All of these either are not do not solve the issue, or are not
applicable.

I have tried to run the IE5setup from the Office XP CD, but am not
allowed to, as I already have IE6 installed. Outlook Express opens
without problem. I have tried using Add/Remove Programs to re-install
and reregister the OE componenst, but the problem persists. I have run
Windows Update, just to make sure I am not missing anything, and
everything's up to date. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the
Office suite, but the problem persists. I believe I have exhausted the
suggestions presented by MS's support site.
Does anyone else have any more suggestions?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

      28th Jan 2006
Do these articles help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287683/en-us
OL2002: Error Message: "Outlook Express 4.01 Required" When You Start
Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287686/en-us
OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

"s0nathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've search the web and tried all the same sites. Nothing works. Have
> you found a way to access any of your contacts and email? I have a lot
> of important information that I can't get to.
>

> --
> s0nathanPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

New Member

      16th Jun 2007
Experienced the error 'Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater.' and all related knowledgebase solutions failed. This was subsequently fixed by the reversal of the instructions under knowledgebase 318378, by amending the registry entry IsInstalled from 0 to 1.

Fixed with the opposite of the instructions at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]

"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001

Changed IsInstalled to 1 from 0

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287683
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;212991
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320863
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/

New Member

      23rd Jan 2008
Hi guys

sorry i needed help on this topic today but microsoft doesnt really help much on this topic they wer leading to right direction but not the final answer. I resolved this by copying working outlook express reg key from another machine. If you need the reg key please email me (as i havent been able to upload to ftp server, no time!!lol). Thank you for all the help.

New Member

      27th Feb 2008
Could you please send that registry key to me or have it sent by a forum admin - i would be very grateful.
i have exhausted all other means of fixing this issue with Outlook 2002. The reg key you mention isn't in my registry.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

New Member

      20th Jan 2011
I am repairing an older system with Office XP, and ran into this issue.

Thanks to tommikka's advice, as that helped me solve my problem.

However, interestingly, I did not have any "IsInstalled" key at all in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}].

So I took a wild guess and added the "IsInstalled" key with a value of "00 00 00 01", and Outlook fired right up without further ado.

Go figure, the exact opposite solution... only with Microsoft!

New Member

      2nd Dec 2012
[QUOTE=
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001 Changed IsInstalled to 1 from 0

My System: XP Pro & OE 6 installed. Little to no registry editing experience.
Same problem - "Outlook needs IE 4.01 of later"

Following your path I found {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C},
but in a subfolder = AutorunDisabled
Seems obvious it needs to be moved up to \Installed?
If so, How?

There's another key in the subfolder \AutorunDisabled::
{7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02},
with default / datq name = Address Book 6.
Should it me restored also?