Outlook slow to open messages

JC

      8th Jun 2007
Hi,

I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all updates
installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years old now.

Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open messages
when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay seems to
vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At its worst
it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open.

Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening messages has
noticeably slowed down.

I read one message about deleting the sites in the IE restricted sites list
would help so I checked the IE restricted sites list and there are a heap of
sites listed - I couldn't tell how many. It looks like they have to be deleted
individually as I couldn't select more than one at a time using the usual
<select>, move down the list, <SHIFT> <select> approach. I am not sure that I
want to delete them as they are there for my security.

I am not sure how relevant the number of sites in the restricted sites list is
anyway. The number of sites listed would be of a similar number to what I had
prior to noticing the slowdown.

This would seem to be related to the security updates issued last month but that
may simply be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions?
--

Cheers . . . JC

=?Utf-8?B?R00=?=

      16th Jun 2007
JC: I'm having the EXACT same problems & you have described it exactly as I
would have. I'm waiting for a "fix it" reply too!

"JC" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all updates
> installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years old now.
>
> Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open messages
> when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay seems to
> vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At its worst
> it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open.
>
> Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening messages has
> noticeably slowed down.
>
> I read one message about deleting the sites in the IE restricted sites list
> would help so I checked the IE restricted sites list and there are a heap of
> sites listed - I couldn't tell how many. It looks like they have to be deleted
> individually as I couldn't select more than one at a time using the usual
> <select>, move down the list, <SHIFT> <select> approach. I am not sure that I
> want to delete them as they are there for my security.
>
> I am not sure how relevant the number of sites in the restricted sites list is
> anyway. The number of sites listed would be of a similar number to what I had
> prior to noticing the slowdown.
>
> This would seem to be related to the security updates issued last month but that
> may simply be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> --
>
> Cheers . . . JC

Diane Poremsky

      16th Jun 2007
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2007/up070607.htm#2

resetting the restricted zone to defaults should clear the entire list:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

for another workaround, see:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=151...80e0887#151711

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

"GM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JC: I'm having the EXACT same problems & you have described it exactly as
> would have. I'm waiting for a "fix it" reply too!
>

> "JC" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running WinXP with SP2, IE7 and Office 2003 professional with all
>> updates
>> installed on a 3GB PC fitted with 1Gb RAM. The PC is probably 3 years
>> old now.
>>
>> Since the May updates I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is slow to open
>> messages
>> when moving the selection bar to or from an HTML message. The delay
>> seems to
>> vary day to day so it is reasonable some days and slow on others. At
>> its worst
>> it can take about 30 secs for some messages to open.
>>
>> Outlook itself opens up at the same speed it always has but opening
>> messages has
>> noticeably slowed down.
>>
>> I read one message about deleting the sites in the IE restricted sites
>> list
>> would help so I checked the IE restricted sites list and there are a heap
>> of
>> sites listed - I couldn't tell how many. It looks like they have to be
>> deleted
>> individually as I couldn't select more than one at a time using the usual
>> <select>, move down the list, <SHIFT> <select> approach. I am not sure
>> that I
>> want to delete them as they are there for my security.
>>
>> I am not sure how relevant the number of sites in the restricted sites
>> list is
>> anyway. The number of sites listed would be of a similar number to what
>> I had
>> prior to noticing the slowdown.
>>
>> This would seem to be related to the security updates issued last month
>> but that
>> may simply be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>> --
>>
>> Cheers . . . JC

JC

      16th Aug 2007
This problem seems to have disappeared after the August updates.

JC