Outlook Rules and Alerts option missing

skavamareen

      6th Oct 2008
On the drop-down menu for 'Tools' there should be a 'Rules and alerts' option
but this is missing and nothing I have done can make it appear. I have tried
it from mail-enabled inboxes and non-enabled. Email is IMAP. I am using an
imported profile, imported from a .csv where my other machine is fine and I
have 'Rules and Alerts' set up and working. It should be between 'Address
Book' and 'Organize' but they are all that's there. It doesn't seem to be
available as an option to 'Add' - i.e. 'add to toolbar'.

dckeenan

      6th Oct 2008
What version of Outlook are you using? In Outlook 2007 under Tools open the
Customize... dialog box. Select the Commands tab. Undercategories select
"Tools" and click "Rearrange Commands..." Set Menu Bar drop down to Tools.
Verify that "Rules and Alerts..." is listed, otherwise click Add. Choose
Tools and click Rules and Alerts. In the "rearrange Commands" dialog box you
can move the selected item down to where it normally is. We don't have any
pc's that aren't using outlook 2007 so I can't check if its an option
elsewhere, but it should be similar.

--
IT Analyst
Mid-States Aluminum

skavamareen

      6th Oct 2008
Thanks for the rapid reply. No I'm using Office 2003. The server is Server
2003. I went in to the Commands list as you suggested (it's similar enough to
2007) - it wasn't listed under any of the categories on the Customize window
or any of the categories when trying out 'Rearrange' - it should have been in
one of those lists, it just wasn't. I have Administrative Access on the
network, so it wouldn't even be hidden from me.

"dckeenan" wrote:

> What version of Outlook are you using? In Outlook 2007 under Tools open the
> Customize... dialog box. Select the Commands tab. Undercategories select
> "Tools" and click "Rearrange Commands..." Set Menu Bar drop down to Tools.
> Verify that "Rules and Alerts..." is listed, otherwise click Add. Choose
> Tools and click Rules and Alerts. In the "rearrange Commands" dialog box you
> can move the selected item down to where it normally is. We don't have any
> pc's that aren't using outlook 2007 so I can't check if its an option
> elsewhere, but it should be similar.
>
> --
> IT Analyst
> Mid-States Aluminum

Mr Bear

      27th Sep 2010
I realize this is 2 yr later, but I found how to restore these commands. You need to have at least 1 email account set up in Outlook before the rules will appear under Tools. If they don't immediately appear under Tools, create the email account then follow the directions given above. They'll work now! Amazing, I actually figured this one out by myself. Everyone gets lucky some time!

> On Monday, October 06, 2008 11:18 AM skavamaree wrote:

> On the drop-down menu for 'Tools' there should be a 'Rules and alerts' option
> but this is missing and nothing I have done can make it appear. I have tried
> it from mail-enabled inboxes and non-enabled. Email is IMAP. I am using an
> imported profile, imported from a .csv where my other machine is fine and I
> have 'Rules and Alerts' set up and working. It should be between 'Address
> Book' and 'Organize' but they are all that's there. It doesn't seem to be
> available as an option to 'Add' - i.e. 'add to toolbar'.

>> On Monday, October 06, 2008 11:38 AM dckeena wrote:

>> What version of Outlook are you using? In Outlook 2007 under Tools open the
>> Customize... dialog box. Select the Commands tab. Undercategories select
>> "Tools" and click "Rearrange Commands..." Set Menu Bar drop down to Tools.
>> Verify that "Rules and Alerts..." is listed, otherwise click Add. Choose
>> Tools and click Rules and Alerts. In the "rearrange Commands" dialog box you
>> can move the selected item down to where it normally is. We don't have any
>> pc's that aren't using outlook 2007 so I can't check if its an option
>> elsewhere, but it should be similar.
>>
>> --
>> IT Analyst
>> Mid-States Aluminum

>>> On Monday, October 06, 2008 12:19 PM skavamaree wrote:

>>> Thanks for the rapid reply. No I'm using Office 2003. The server is Server
>>> 2003. I went in to the Commands list as you suggested (it's similar enough to
>>> 2007) - it wasn't listed under any of the categories on the Customize window
>>> or any of the categories when trying out 'Rearrange' - it should have been in
>>> one of those lists, it just wasn't. I have Administrative Access on the
>>> network, so it wouldn't even be hidden from me.
>>>
>>> "dckeenan" wrote:

>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>>> Why GUIDs are not a good idea for SQL Server Primary Keys
>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...mary-keys.aspx

BillyBob

      28th Sep 2010
"Mr Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Snip<
>Amazing, I actually figured this one out by myself. Everyone gets lucky
>some
>time!

"Amazing, I actually figured this one out by myself". Holy ****! I picture
you jumping around the room like a four year old who just finished wiping
his ass all by himself for the first time. Go shove a lollipop in your
piehole, kid.