Outlook Redemption causing "Error '429' ActiveX component can't create object"?

Jim Spicer

      23rd Feb 2004
My problem turned out to be not registering redemption.dll correctly during
the install. I'm using a custom PDW script. Setup1.exe didn't classify
redemption.dll as "self-registering, shared". So I manually edited
setup.lst...need to make a DEP file for it.

I confirmed this on the XP/Outlook2K3 box; no trace of redemption.dll in the
registry.

Re-built the installation package, re-installed and MUCH JOY!

Jim

"Jim Spicer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eOtTU3h#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kristy,
> I know I am late to this thread but I am having similar results using VB6,
> NT/2K/XP, Outlook2K & Outlook2K3. On the XP/Outlook2K3 machine I am

getting
> the 429 error, can't create activex object.
>
> My code snippet follows:
>
> Dim SafeItem As Object
> Dim objOutlook As Object
> Dim oNamespace As Object
> Dim Utils As Redemption.MAPIUtils
> Dim oOutlookItems As Object
> Dim oOutlookItem As Object
> '
> ' SET UP OUTLOOK
> Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> Set oNamespace = objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
> oNamespace.Logon
> ' SET UP REDEMPTION
> Set SafeItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem") 'Create an
> instance of RedemptionSafeMailItem
> Set Utils = CreateObject("Redemption.MAPIUtils") 'Create an
> instance of Redemption.MAPIUtils
> ' GET INBOX CONTENTS
> Set oOutlookItems =
> objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items
> ' LOOK AT EACH ITEM IN THE INBOX
> For Each oOutlookItem In oOutlookItems
>

> I'm going to try Ken's idea of declaring the Redemption variables as
> Redemption types; I'll report back what happens.
>
> Did this get resolved? Thanks for any help.
>
> Jim Spicer
>
> "Kristy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Dmitry
> >
> > I did use my customised name, I didn't put in the previous posts
> > example to avoid confusion... which obviously didn't work! Sorry.
> >
> > Kristy
> >
> > "Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Wait a sec, but if you renamed the dll and customized the Redemption

> class
> > > names, shouldn't you be using the customized names when you call
> > > CreateObject instead of
> > > Set sItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> > >
> > > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > > OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
> > > and MAPI Developer Tool
> > >

> > > "Kristy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

It

error,

has

Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\)

      23rd Feb 2004
BTW, if you customized your copy of Redemption.dll, there is no need to mark
it as shared, unless it is shared by your other apps.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

"Jim Spicer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eUcYDpi%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My problem turned out to be not registering redemption.dll correctly

during
> the install. I'm using a custom PDW script. Setup1.exe didn't classify
> redemption.dll as "self-registering, shared". So I manually edited
> setup.lst...need to make a DEP file for it.
>
> I confirmed this on the XP/Outlook2K3 box; no trace of redemption.dll in

the
> registry.
>
> Re-built the installation package, re-installed and MUCH JOY!
>
> Jim
>

> "Jim Spicer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eOtTU3h#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Kristy,
> > I know I am late to this thread but I am having similar results using

VB6,
> > NT/2K/XP, Outlook2K & Outlook2K3. On the XP/Outlook2K3 machine I am

> getting
> > the 429 error, can't create activex object.
> >
> > My code snippet follows:
> >
> > Dim SafeItem As Object
> > Dim objOutlook As Object
> > Dim oNamespace As Object
> > Dim Utils As Redemption.MAPIUtils
> > Dim oOutlookItems As Object
> > Dim oOutlookItem As Object
> > '
> > ' SET UP OUTLOOK
> > Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> > Set oNamespace = objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
> > oNamespace.Logon
> > ' SET UP REDEMPTION
> > Set SafeItem = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem") 'Create an
> > instance of RedemptionSafeMailItem
> > Set Utils = CreateObject("Redemption.MAPIUtils") 'Create an
> > instance of Redemption.MAPIUtils
> > ' GET INBOX CONTENTS
> > Set oOutlookItems =
> > objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items
> > ' LOOK AT EACH ITEM IN THE INBOX
> > For Each oOutlookItem In oOutlookItems
> >

> > I'm going to try Ken's idea of declaring the Redemption variables as
> > Redemption types; I'll report back what happens.
> >
> > Did this get resolved? Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Jim Spicer
> >
> > "Kristy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi Dmitry
> > >
> > > I did use my customised name, I didn't put in the previous posts
> > > example to avoid confusion... which obviously didn't work! Sorry.
> > >
> > > Kristy
> > >
> > > "Dmitry Streblechenko \(MVP\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > class

> It

occurs

> error,

have

ensured

> has

Kristy

      24th Feb 2004
Hi Jim & Dmitry

My problem was similar to your own, I use VSI to install my
application and set the redemption.dll to be self rigistering.
However it appears that my .msi must have been corrupt, and this was
the last thing I recreated! Recreating it seemed to solve all of me
"429' errors hurrah!

Kris