Outlook Contact E-Mail addresses not showing in Outlook Address Book

theAphex

      10th Jul 2008
My boss switched computers, so I exported her contact list into a PST
file from the old computer.

Office 2003 SP3 (11.8217.8202) on Windows XP SP2 (Old computer was
Office 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2)

After initially importing the PST and noticing that the all of
contacts were showing up fine in Contacts, I checked in Outlook
Address Book and while the names were showing, none of the e-mail
addresses were (although the e-mail addresses appeared fine in
Contacts)

Looking through some of the Contacts, I noticed that all of them had
the e-mail addresses in the correct box. Tried to resolve them, Check
Names, and save. No luck. Still not showing in Outlook Address Book.

I then downloaded Resolve E-Mail from Chapura (which seems to do the
same thing as loading each contact, resolving, then saving) No luck.

Read around a bit and saw many posts about how Importing is incorrect
and corrupts the PST. No worries. I then proceeded to download the PST
file (from the old computer) again and start over.

Steps Taken;

1. In Outlook, Tools/E-Mail Accounts/View or Change Address Book/
Highlighted the Outlook Address Book and clicked Remove, then Finish.
2. Exited Outlook
3. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Removed the default profile (it was
the only profile listed)
4. Restarted Computer
5. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Created a new profile called 'New
Profile'
6. It brought up the 'E-Mail Accounts Wizard'
7. Added a new e-mail account, clicked 'New Outlook Data File' below
'Deliver new e-mail to the following location'
8. Selected the PST file which was exported from the previous PC.
Clicked OK until I was back at the desktop.
9. Loaded Outlook.

Unfortunately, i'm still in the same position. The contacts show fine
within Outlook Contacts, all information is in the correct boxes,
specifically the e-mail field (the e-mail address is underlined);
however, none of the e-mail addresses show up in Outlook Address Book.

I did notice if I physically delete the e-mail address for each
contact, re-add it, then save. It THEN shows up in Outlook Address
Book. Unfortunately with so many contacts (200+), I'm hoping there is
an easier way.

Any ideas?

theAphex

      10th Jul 2008
I have uploaded two screenshots to help show my dilemma;

Outlook Contacts - Showing e-mail address in the correct location
http://img60.imageshack.us/my.php?image=contact1nv1.jpg

Outlook Address Book - Showing the name, but the e-mail address field
is blank
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ontact2ez3.jpg

Also, I mistakenly forgot to include another piece of information in
my original post.

When in Outlook Address Book, when I double click on any contact, a
dialog box pops up and says "The Properties dialog box could not be
displayed. An invalid ENTRYID was passed in"

Based on my searching here, it seems to be that the Address Book lost
it link to the Contacts. I tried all the techniques requested;

1. Within Outlook, Select Contacts, File/Folder/Properties for
'Contacts'.
2. Outlook Address Book Tab, show this folder as an e-mail Address
Book is checked.

I then proceeded with the previous post steps and starting with
deleting the Outlook Address Book.

Gordon

      10th Jul 2008
"theAphex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My boss switched computers, so I exported her contact list into a PST
> file from the old computer.

<sigh> as posted at LEAST daily on all Outlook groups - do NOT use the
import/export function to move data from one Outlook to another!

> Office 2003 SP3 (11.8217.8202) on Windows XP SP2 (Old computer was
> Office 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2)
>
> After initially importing the PST and noticing that the all of
> contacts were showing up fine in Contacts, I checked in Outlook
> Address Book and while the names were showing, none of the e-mail
> addresses were (although the e-mail addresses appeared fine in
> Contacts)
>
> Looking through some of the Contacts, I noticed that all of them had
> the e-mail addresses in the correct box. Tried to resolve them, Check
> Names, and save. No luck. Still not showing in Outlook Address Book.
>
> I then downloaded Resolve E-Mail from Chapura (which seems to do the
> same thing as loading each contact, resolving, then saving) No luck.
>
> Read around a bit and saw many posts about how Importing is incorrect
> and corrupts the PST. No worries. I then proceeded to download the PST
> file (from the old computer) again and start over.
>
> Steps Taken;
>
> 1. In Outlook, Tools/E-Mail Accounts/View or Change Address Book/
> Highlighted the Outlook Address Book and clicked Remove, then Finish.
> 2. Exited Outlook
> 3. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Removed the default profile (it was
> the only profile listed)
> 4. Restarted Computer
> 5. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Created a new profile called 'New
> Profile'
> 6. It brought up the 'E-Mail Accounts Wizard'
> 7. Added a new e-mail account, clicked 'New Outlook Data File' below
> 'Deliver new e-mail to the following location'
> 8. Selected the PST file which was exported from the previous PC.
> Clicked OK until I was back at the desktop.
> 9. Loaded Outlook.
>
> Unfortunately, i'm still in the same position. The contacts show fine
> within Outlook Contacts, all information is in the correct boxes,
> specifically the e-mail field (the e-mail address is underlined);
> however, none of the e-mail addresses show up in Outlook Address Book.
>
> I did notice if I physically delete the e-mail address for each
> contact, re-add it, then save. It THEN shows up in Outlook Address
> Book. Unfortunately with so many contacts (200+), I'm hoping there is
> an easier way.
>
> Any ideas?

One of the main results of importing is to corrupt the Mail profile. Create
a new mail profile (Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) and connect the
existing pst file to it. See if that helps.

theAphex

      10th Jul 2008
On Jul 10, 3:41*am, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "theAphex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > My boss switched computers, so I exported her contact list into a PST
> > file from the old computer.

> <sigh> as posted at LEAST daily on all Outlook groups - do NOT use the
> import/export function to move data from one Outlook to another!
>

> > Office 2003 SP3 (11.8217.8202) on Windows XP SP2 * (Old computer was
> > Office 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2)

> > After initially importing the PST and noticing that the all of
> > contacts were showing up fine in Contacts, I checked in Outlook
> > Address Book and while the names were showing, none of the e-mail
> > addresses were (although the e-mail addresses appeared fine in
> > Contacts)

> > Looking through some of the Contacts, I noticed that all of them had
> > the e-mail addresses in the correct box. Tried to resolve them, Check
> > Names, and save. No luck. Still not showing in Outlook Address Book.

> > I then downloaded Resolve E-Mail from Chapura (which seems to do the
> > same thing as loading each contact, resolving, then saving) No luck.

> > Read around a bit and saw many posts about how Importing is incorrect
> > and corrupts the PST. No worries. I then proceeded to download the PST
> > file (from the old computer) again and start over.

> > Steps Taken;

> > 1. In Outlook, Tools/E-Mail Accounts/View or Change Address Book/
> > Highlighted the Outlook Address Book and clicked Remove, then Finish.
> > 2. Exited Outlook
> > 3. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Removed the default profile (it was
> > the only profile listed)
> > 4. Restarted Computer
> > 5. Control Panel/Mail/Profiles, Created a new profile called 'New
> > Profile'
> > 6. It brought up the 'E-Mail Accounts Wizard'
> > 7. Added a new e-mail account, clicked 'New Outlook Data File' below
> > 'Deliver new e-mail to the following location'
> > 8. Selected the PST file which was exported from the previous PC.
> > Clicked OK until I was back at the desktop.
> > 9. Loaded Outlook.

> > Unfortunately, i'm still in the same position. The contacts show fine
> > within Outlook Contacts, all information is in the correct boxes,
> > specifically the e-mail field (the e-mail address is underlined);
> > however, none of the e-mail addresses show up in Outlook Address Book.

> > I did notice if I physically delete the e-mail address for each
> > contact, re-add it, then save. It THEN shows up in Outlook Address
> > Book. Unfortunately with so many contacts (200+), I'm hoping there is
> > an easier way.

> > Any ideas?

> One of the main results of importing is to corrupt the Mail profile. Create
> a new mail profile (Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) and connect the
> existing pst file to it. See if that helps.

Might I suggest you read my entire post?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      10th Jul 2008
He did read the entire post and gave you the correct solution. Once you
exported the data you corrupted the file. Connect the new profile to the
original PST file or a good backup thereof, not the exported one.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> [...]

> > 9. Loaded Outlook.

> > Unfortunately, i'm still in the same position. The contacts show fine
> > within Outlook Contacts, all information is in the correct boxes,
> > specifically the e-mail field (the e-mail address is underlined);
> > however, none of the e-mail addresses show up in Outlook Address Book.

> > I did notice if I physically delete the e-mail address for each
> > contact, re-add it, then save. It THEN shows up in Outlook Address
> > Book. Unfortunately with so many contacts (200+), I'm hoping there is
> > an easier way.

> > Any ideas?

> One of the main results of importing is to corrupt the Mail profile.
> Create
> a new mail profile (Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) and connect the
> existing pst file to it. See if that helps.

Might I suggest you read my entire post?

aphexii@gmail.com

      10th Jul 2008
On Jul 10, 3:56*pm, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> He did read the entire post and gave you the correct solution. Once you
> exported the data you corrupted the file. Connect the new profile to the
> original PST file or a good backup thereof, not the exported one.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]"theAphex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

If you don't mind me asking, why is there an Import/Export function if
all it seems to do is corrupt data?

wrote:
>> He did read the entire post and gave you the correct solution. Once you
>> exported the data you corrupted the file. Connect the new profile to the
>> original PST file or a good backup thereof, not the exported one.

>If you don't mind me asking, why is there an Import/Export function if
>all it seems to do is corrupt data?

It's main use is for transferring data to and from non-Outlook applications
such as Excel, Acces etc.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      10th Jul 2008
Import and Export are to convert Outlook data to other file formats, like
Excel, Access, csv, etc. Outlook data needs no such conversion, so to
transfer Outlook data you just copy your data file. You don't export your
Word documents when you move them to a new location do you?
At one time, the Outlook developers thought it might be a useful method for
users who only want to transfer only portions of the PST file rather than
the whole thing, so they permitted an export to a PST file. That feature
only actually worked if the transfer was to a previously created, fully
defined PST file. They apparently never realized people would try to use the
export function to create a _new_ PST file. That has never worked and never
will. We advised them years ago of how much trouble it was causing and asked
them to remove the feature completely. Apparently, they have not seen fit to
do so.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]