Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.

Steve Halvorson

      4th Jan 2008
I am having a problem with Outlook (which is set to use cache) not seeing
messages that have been restored to the exchange server (2007) after a
restore. If you turn Cache mode off you can see all the messages - turn it
on and they disapear. How can I force Outlook to resync the older messages
in the local pst file?
--
Steve Halvorson
Preferred Credit, Inc

Emily Lin

      7th Jan 2008
Hi Steve,

With Exchange Cached Mode for Microsoft Outlook, the design goal is to prevent data loss, so that if the Exchange mailbox store
changes, the OST will not be orphaned as in the past.

When you choose "cached exchange mode", the messages are stored in the local *.ost file (offline file folder). Please wait for a while
(10 minutes) to see if the messages are resync in the local ost files.

If not, the solution to fix this problem is to create a new unique profile. If the user has Outlook in cache mode then disable the cache
mode and delete any ost files on the system. Create the new profile and have Outlook recreate the ost files new. This is necessary
since the ost file ties back to the users mailbox and when the mailbox identifiers change these no longer match.

Related KB artilce:

870926 Description of Outlook with Cached Exchange Mode in an Exchange Server
2003 environment

287072 How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGFsdm9yc29u?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.
>Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:22:02 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
>
>I am having a problem with Outlook (which is set to use cache) not seeing
>messages that have been restored to the exchange server (2007) after a
>restore. If you turn Cache mode off you can see all the messages - turn it
>on and they disapear. How can I force Outlook to resync the older messages
>in the local pst file?
>--
>Steve Halvorson
>Preferred Credit, Inc

Steve Halvorson

      7th Jan 2008
Thanks Emily, I was hoping for a way around deleting the ost files - you
know, a magic button somewhere.
--
Steve Halvorson
Preferred Credit, Inc

"Emily Lin" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> With Exchange Cached Mode for Microsoft Outlook, the design goal is to prevent data loss, so that if the Exchange mailbox store
> changes, the OST will not be orphaned as in the past.
>
> When you choose "cached exchange mode", the messages are stored in the local *.ost file (offline file folder). Please wait for a while
> (10 minutes) to see if the messages are resync in the local ost files.
>
> If not, the solution to fix this problem is to create a new unique profile. If the user has Outlook in cache mode then disable the cache
> mode and delete any ost files on the system. Create the new profile and have Outlook recreate the ost files new. This is necessary
> since the ost file ties back to the users mailbox and when the mailbox identifiers change these no longer match.
>
> Related KB artilce:
>
> 870926 Description of Outlook with Cached Exchange Mode in an Exchange Server
> 2003 environment
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;870926
>
> 287072 How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;287072
>
> If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Emily Lin
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>
> --------------------
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGFsdm9yc29u?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.
> >Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:22:02 -0800
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
> >
> >I am having a problem with Outlook (which is set to use cache) not seeing
> >messages that have been restored to the exchange server (2007) after a
> >restore. If you turn Cache mode off you can see all the messages - turn it
> >on and they disapear. How can I force Outlook to resync the older messages
> >in the local pst file?
> >--
> >Steve Halvorson
> >Preferred Credit, Inc

Emily Lin

      8th Jan 2008
Hi Steve,

There is not such a button in Outlook to delete the OST files.

By default, the ost files are stored in the folder: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
\Outlook\. Please delete the ost files and then create a new outlook profile to fix the issue.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from this issue.

--------------------

@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
>Subject: RE: Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.
>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:37:01 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
>
>Thanks Emily, I was hoping for a way around deleting the ost files - you
>know, a magic button somewhere.
>--
>Steve Halvorson
>Preferred Credit, Inc
>

>"Emily Lin" wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> With Exchange Cached Mode for Microsoft Outlook, the design goal is to prevent data loss, so that if

the Exchange mailbox store
>> changes, the OST will not be orphaned as in the past.
>>
>> When you choose "cached exchange mode", the messages are stored in the local *.ost file (offline

file folder). Please wait for a while
>> (10 minutes) to see if the messages are resync in the local ost files.
>>
>> If not, the solution to fix this problem is to create a new unique profile. If the user has Outlook in

cache mode then disable the cache
>> mode and delete any ost files on the system. Create the new profile and have Outlook recreate the

ost files new. This is necessary
>> since the ost file ties back to the users mailbox and when the mailbox identifiers change these no

longer match.

>> Related KB artilce:
>>
>> 870926 Description of Outlook with Cached Exchange Mode in an Exchange Server
>> 2003 environment
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;870926
>>
>> 287072 How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;287072
>>
>> If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Emily Lin
>>
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn

and benefit from your issue.
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>
>> --------------------
>> >From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGFsdm9yc29u?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> >Subject: Outlook Cache Sync problem after Exchange 2007 restore.
>> >Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:22:02 -0800
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
>> >
>> >I am having a problem with Outlook (which is set to use cache) not seeing
>> >messages that have been restored to the exchange server (2007) after a
>> >restore. If you turn Cache mode off you can see all the messages - turn it
>> >on and they disapear. How can I force Outlook to resync the older messages
>> >in the local pst file?
>> >--
>> >Steve Halvorson
>> >Preferred Credit, Inc

Emily Lin

      10th Jan 2008
Hi Steve,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free
to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

<(E-Mail Removed)>