Outlook 2007: Using a File as a Template when Creating a Signature

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgU2Nod2FydHo=?=

      7th Oct 2006
I am testing MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh and would like to use a
file as a template when creating a signature. I use a service called
RingCentral (similar to Skype) which allows you to make and receive calls
over the Internet, among other features. Using their website, I am able to
download a ".htm" file that has an icon called "RingMe". When one clicks on
the icon in your signature or website, they can call you.

In RingCentral's website, they provide instructions on using the ".htm" file
that has this hyperlink icon as a template when creating an e-mail signature
in MS Outlook 2003. In that version, when you create the signature, you are
given a dialog box where you give it a name and choose how to create the
signature. You can Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
as a template, or Use a file as a template. According to the instructions,
we are to download the ".htm" file and use it as a template in the signature.
This adds the hyperlink icon to the signature.

In MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh, however, we don't seem to have
these options. When we provide a name for the new signature, we are not also
given the choice to Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
as a template, or Use a file as a template.

Consequently, I don't know how to use this ".htm" file as a template when
creating my signature and add its functionality to my signature and e-mails.
Has this feature been excluded from MS Outlook 2007, put in a different
place, or is there another way to do it? Looking on the Web, it looks like
people who use Skype have had a similar question, but with regard to that
service.

Peter Schwartz
(E-Mail Removed)

Roady [MVP]

      7th Oct 2006
You can put the htm-file directly in the Signatures folder and edit it from
within the editor.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Peter Schwartz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Thank you for your advice.

I went ahead and put the file in the folder. Initially, when I went to
Create a signature and saw the file as a choice, I selected it. But, I only
saw a large picture placeholder with a small icon (indicating a picture
should be there), indicating it couldn't or wouldn't show the icon. I then
chose another signature and went back and then selected the one I want again.
This time, I saw a tiny version of the icon. I couldn't make it larger and
clicking on it didn nothing. However, if I just open it up in Internet
Explorer, it appears as the correct size. And, when you click on it there,
it opens up another window for someone to type their phone number with
instructions on how to call me.

Any suggestions on what I should do from here?

Peter

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> You can put the htm-file directly in the Signatures folder and edit it from
> within the editor.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> -----
> "Peter Schwartz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am testing MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh and would like to use
> file as a template when creating a signature. I use a service called
> RingCentral (similar to Skype) which allows you to make and receive calls
> over the Internet, among other features. Using their website, I am able to
> download a ".htm" file that has an icon called "RingMe". When one clicks on
> the icon in your signature or website, they can call you.
>
> In RingCentral's website, they provide instructions on using the ".htm" file
> that has this hyperlink icon as a template when creating an e-mail signature
> in MS Outlook 2003. In that version, when you create the signature, you are
> given a dialog box where you give it a name and choose how to create the
> signature. You can Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
> as a template, or Use a file as a template. According to the instructions,
> we are to download the ".htm" file and use it as a template in the
> signature.
> This adds the hyperlink icon to the signature.
>
> In MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh, however, we don't seem to have
> these options. When we provide a name for the new signature, we are not
> also
> given the choice to Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
> as a template, or Use a file as a template.
>
> Consequently, I don't know how to use this ".htm" file as a template when
> creating my signature and add its functionality to my signature and e-mails.
> Has this feature been excluded from MS Outlook 2007, put in a different
> place, or is there another way to do it? Looking on the Web, it looks like
> people who use Skype have had a similar question, but with regard to that
> service.
>

> Peter Schwartz
> (E-Mail Removed)

Roady [MVP]

      7th Oct 2006
Clicking it in the editor has no effect; How does the signature look like
and work when inserted in a message?
Additionally you can define the dimensions of the picture in the HTML of the
template. If you open the template look for the img tag for the picture and
specify the size there for instance; width="212" height="263"