Outlook 2007 problem receiving 18,000 old emails

Karical

      2nd Jul 2009

when I opened outlook 2007 this morning I started to receive 18,000 old
emails that were previously deleted. this is taking hours to receive and then
delete. How can I stop them so I can get back to work and prevent this in the
future.
--
Thanks
Karical

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      2nd Jul 2009

What type of email account? it sounds like you are leaving mail on the
server and something made outlook think you hadn't downloaded them. The only
way to prevent it is to leave mail on the server.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"Karical" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> when I opened outlook 2007 this morning I started to receive 18,000 old
> emails that were previously deleted. this is taking hours to receive and
> then
> delete. How can I stop them so I can get back to work and prevent this in
> the
> future.
> --
> Thanks
> Karical

Karical

      2nd Jul 2009

i have a pop3 account and I had been leaving email on the server. should i go
in and change the setting to delete email from the pop3 server that are older
than 30 days?
--
Thanks
Karical

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> What type of email account? it sounds like you are leaving mail on the
> server and something made outlook think you hadn't downloaded them. The only
> way to prevent it is to leave mail on the server.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
>
> "Karical" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > when I opened outlook 2007 this morning I started to receive 18,000 old
> > emails that were previously deleted. this is taking hours to receive and
> > then
> > delete. How can I stop them so I can get back to work and prevent this in
> > the
> > future.
> > --
> > Thanks
> > Karical

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      2nd Jul 2009

Or set it to delete them when you delete them from outlook, if you want to
prevent this from happening again.

Did you make a new profile or a new pst file? Either of those will cause
Outlook to re-download everything. A virus scanner scanning all inbound mail
could also cause issues with it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"Karical" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have a pop3 account and I had been leaving email on the server. should i
> go
> in and change the setting to delete email from the pop3 server that are
> older
> than 30 days?
> --
> Thanks
> Karical
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What type of email account? it sounds like you are leaving mail on the
>> server and something made outlook think you hadn't downloaded them. The
>> only
>> way to prevent it is to leave mail on the server.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
>> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
>>
>> "Karical" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > when I opened outlook 2007 this morning I started to receive 18,000 old
>> > emails that were previously deleted. this is taking hours to receive
>> > and
>> > then
>> > delete. How can I stop them so I can get back to work and prevent this
>> > in
>> > the
>> > future.
>> > --
>> > Thanks
>> > Karical

JCook423

      20th Jul 2009
"Or set it to delete them when you delete them from outlook, if you want to
"prevent this from happening again."

and how do you set it to delete from both the server and outlook?