Outlook 2007 import categories using GPO template limitation

RD

      3rd Jul 2008
We are using SBS 2003 with Exch 2003 and Outlook 2007 on Windows XP machines.
We have recently upgrade office 2000 to Office 2007 with BCM on all 6 PCs.

We have huge Master List of categories for Outlook 2000 contacts that we
used to export and import using registry to share on all 6 PCs. Since we got
Outlook 2007, we can't manage the contacts with shared categories.

Then we done some research and found basic solution using GPO with Outlook
2007 template to share this master list on the SBS 2003 server to 6 PCs. This
trick could not help us to add whole long list of categories into GPO
template bacause we can't paste the whole list and it accept only partial
list. Obviously we will be adding more as we grow, so we need similar fix
with unlimited categories as previous outlook version.

Is there any size limitation for ADD NEW CATEGORIES string in outlook GPO
template? Is there a way to increase the size of the string so we can add
more?

Any other solution we will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RD

Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]

      3rd Jul 2008

You might deploy your categories with Category Manager: no limits, updates
at intervals, shares colors as well, and much more. For details and the
download see the link in my signature, please.

--
Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

: VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
: Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>

Am Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:34:48 -0700 schrieb RD:

> We are using SBS 2003 with Exch 2003 and Outlook 2007 on Windows XP

machines.
> We have recently upgrade office 2000 to Office 2007 with BCM on all 6 PCs.
>
> We have huge Master List of categories for Outlook 2000 contacts that we
> used to export and import using registry to share on all 6 PCs. Since we

got
> Outlook 2007, we can't manage the contacts with shared categories.
>
> Then we done some research and found basic solution using GPO with Outlook
> 2007 template to share this master list on the SBS 2003 server to 6 PCs.

This
> trick could not help us to add whole long list of categories into GPO
> template bacause we can't paste the whole list and it accept only partial
> list. Obviously we will be adding more as we grow, so we need similar fix
> with unlimited categories as previous outlook version.
>
> Is there any size limitation for ADD NEW CATEGORIES string in outlook GPO
> template? Is there a way to increase the size of the string so we can add
> more?
>
> Any other solution we will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> RD

Peter Donald

      25th Aug 2010
I don't know if it is as slick as a GPO solutions, but here is a free method which works.

Good luck

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Soft...ategories.html