Outlook 2007 Export Automatic Formatting Rules

JayR

      6th Oct 2009

I have a user who has spent several hours creating automatic formatting rules
for her calendar. Her other peers in her department want and would benefit
from having the same formatting rules for their calendars as well. Is there a
way to export those rules so that the other users can import them into their
calendar?

Environment:
Outlook 2007
Exchange 2007

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      6th Oct 2009
There isn't an Export views options, unfortunately. So while it can be done,
its painstaking. I suppose you are using Exchange server? This is one time
a PST would be easier - make a copy, delete her mail etc then give everyone
a copy of the pst - the views are stored in it.

Exchange has File, Folder, Copy folder designs which will make it easier -
but she needs to do it on every folder and I'm not sure if it will keep
custom views the others might have created. It may overwrite them so test it
to be sure. It may not include 'all folders' views either. (I forget.)

Another method needs to make views for 'this folder, everyone' then everyone
opens the folder or gets a copy of the folder in a pst. They save the views
for "all folders" so it gets written to their message store. This method
works well if users just want one view or the views are all in one folder
and they have permission to view the folder its on - ie, its on the inbox
and they have permission her inbox. The open the inbox, open their Define
views dialog and copy it as 'all folders, me only'

--

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

"JayR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a user who has spent several hours creating automatic formatting
> rules
> for her calendar. Her other peers in her department want and would benefit
> from having the same formatting rules for their calendars as well. Is
> there a
> way to export those rules so that the other users can import them into
> their
> calendar?
>
> Environment:
> Outlook 2007
> Exchange 2007

JayR

      6th Oct 2009
Thanks for your reply.
I don't think the .pst option would work because the automatic formatting
that "User 1" has created would need to be placed on "User 2's" main calendar
that is already in use.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> There isn't an Export views options, unfortunately. So while it can be done,
> its painstaking. I suppose you are using Exchange server? This is one time
> a PST would be easier - make a copy, delete her mail etc then give everyone
> a copy of the pst - the views are stored in it.
>
> Exchange has File, Folder, Copy folder designs which will make it easier -
> but she needs to do it on every folder and I'm not sure if it will keep
> custom views the others might have created. It may overwrite them so test it
> to be sure. It may not include 'all folders' views either. (I forget.)
>
> Another method needs to make views for 'this folder, everyone' then everyone
> opens the folder or gets a copy of the folder in a pst. They save the views
> for "all folders" so it gets written to their message store. This method
> works well if users just want one view or the views are all in one folder
> and they have permission to view the folder its on - ie, its on the inbox
> and they have permission her inbox. The open the inbox, open their Define
> views dialog and copy it as 'all folders, me only'
>

> --
>
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "JayR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a user who has spent several hours creating automatic formatting
> > rules
> > for her calendar. Her other peers in her department want and would benefit
> > from having the same formatting rules for their calendars as well. Is
> > there a
> > way to export those rules so that the other users can import them into
> > their
> > calendar?
> >
> > Environment:
> > Outlook 2007
> > Exchange 2007

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      6th Oct 2009
it would - user 2 opens the pst, looks at the views and saves copies using
the option for 'all folders'. It's really convoluted. If you have
exchange, copy folder views is a little less convoluted.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:

"JayR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply.
> I don't think the .pst option would work because the automatic formatting
> that "User 1" has created would need to be placed on "User 2's" main
> calendar
> that is already in use.
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There isn't an Export views options, unfortunately. So while it can be
>> done,
>> its painstaking. I suppose you are using Exchange server? This is one
>> time
>> a PST would be easier - make a copy, delete her mail etc then give
>> everyone
>> a copy of the pst - the views are stored in it.
>>
>> Exchange has File, Folder, Copy folder designs which will make it
>> easier -
>> but she needs to do it on every folder and I'm not sure if it will keep
>> custom views the others might have created. It may overwrite them so test
>> it
>> to be sure. It may not include 'all folders' views either. (I forget.)
>>
>> Another method needs to make views for 'this folder, everyone' then
>> everyone
>> opens the folder or gets a copy of the folder in a pst. They save the
>> for "all folders" so it gets written to their message store. This method
>> works well if users just want one view or the views are all in one folder
>> and they have permission to view the folder its on - ie, its on the inbox
>> and they have permission her inbox. The open the inbox, open their Define
>> views dialog and copy it as 'all folders, me only'
>>

>> --
>>
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> "JayR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I have a user who has spent several hours creating automatic formatting
>> > rules
>> > for her calendar. Her other peers in her department want and would
>> > benefit
>> > from having the same formatting rules for their calendars as well. Is
>> > there a
>> > way to export those rules so that the other users can import them into
>> > their
>> > calendar?
>> >
>> > Environment:
>> > Outlook 2007
>> > Exchange 2007

New Member
undrline's Avatar

      26th Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
I have a user who has spent several hours creating automatic formatting rules
for her calendar. Her other peers in her department want and would benefit
from having the same formatting rules for their calendars as well. Is there a
way to export those rules so that the other users can import them into their
calendar?

Environment:
Outlook 2007
Exchange 2007
The previous poster said that it would be complicated, but their site has a tutorial, which may help:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/c...k-custom-views

Last edited by undrline; 26th Jun 2012 at 06:51 PM..